E S C A P E

I awoke slowly, feeling the sharp pain in the back of my head before I even opened my eyes. I winced, attempting to move my muscles for what felt like the first time in ages. The ground was unbearably hard, and I slowly forced myself into a sitting position to try and escape it. As I finally lifted my eyelids, I realized that I was in some sort of dark prison, with bars of steel separating myself from the dimly lit corridor.

Darkness...

I brought my knees up to my chest, hugging my legs to my body.

Sasuke...

Karin had been right. There was something darker, colder, lurking inside of him now. And the young Kazekage seemed to already know that. In fact, he seemed to know Sasuke fairly well.

Why was that?

Who were they to each other?

As the moments ticked by and my mind was unable to come up with the answers I needed, I found myself realizing that I knew far less about the Uchiha than I thought I did. I was aware that he had a life before Orochimaru, yes, but it was never a topic of discussion. The only part of his past that he ever felt the need to share was about Itachi, always. Nothing else ever came up, but then again, I never asked.

Sighing, I hung my head and rested my forehead on my knees. I thought that Sasuke and I had developed some sort of unspoken bond. In fact, I was sure of it. But the way he spoke when he was confronted by that Gaara... and the way he looked at me...

I shook my head, not wanting to finish that thought. I didn't want my mind to tell me that Sasuke didn't truly care. I didn't want his name being tainted with such a notion.

But...

If he was lost in darkness like the Kazekage said then... would he even be capable of caring?

Was he just using my support as a crutch to reach his goal?

Was I even... did I even matter to him?

I lifted a hand to the back of my head, feeling dried blood mixed in my hair. I squeezed my eyes shut at the touch, feeling myself being thrown through the air again at the sensation.

Would he have tossed me aside so violently if... if I had been strong enough?

Wasn't that all he craved in the end anyway... ?

If I was stronger...

Maybe...

I could force him from the darkness...

Maybe...

But aren't I in the darkness too?

How could I save him... without first saving myself?

Did I even deserve to be saved...?

Did I...?

Did I...

...

...

...

"It was a mistake."

"I need to focus on what's more important."

...

...

"I can't hear those words right now."

"I need to make them pay."

...