Juuzou's Story {13}

"She's my baby!" The teen protested, clinging protectively onto Muffin's squirming figure.

"Suzuya-san, I need a valid explanation." The investigator addressed, scribbling minor notes onto their notepad.

"That is a valid explanation! Muffin's my baby! Mine! Mine! Mine! I've been raising her on my own for 3 weeks!" Juuzou had stood his ground with Shinohara, he was going to stand his ground with the entire CCG, too, if he was given that option.

The pair were surrounded in the local police station, as detectives, investigators, and officers gathered evidence and clues that linked to "Juuzou's baby".

"It's Seikatsu-san's baby all right, fingerprints discovered from her old crib were identical." One of the detectives glanced at the pair from the side of his eyes, a look of pity grazing his features.

Juuzou couldn't believe this was happening, he'd never imagined them getting caught, and now that it was actually happening...well, let's just say he was about to burst into tears right there.

"I won't let them take you away from me, Muffin...I'll kill them if I have to, Rei and I both." Juuzou compromised, all while muttering comforting and encouraging words into the ears of the toddler.

"Juuzou..." Muffin whimpered, her eyes glazing over with tears, making her ebony orbs resemble an ocean at night.

"No, it's Oniisan now, we're family remember?" Juuzou grinned sadly enough that it didn't even reach halfway up his blood red pupils.

"Oni..." Juuzou was ambushed before he could interpret the turmoil at hand.

Both his hands were pinned behind his back, as Muffin was snatched from his reach.

"Juuzou Oni!!!" Juuzou heard Muffin scream, but she was nowhere to be seen in the crowd of authorities ambuscading him.

"Muffin!!!" Juuzou's mind was still trying to grasp what was taking place, his mouth frozen in alarm, as his hands were bounded behind his back.

Was this really happening? Were they actually going to take his sister from him?

Flashbacks of Juuzou's 3 weeks being spent with Muffin replayed over and over in his usually bland, but mischievous mind.

He felt something wet rolling down his cheeks, and he refused to believe that it was what he thought it was.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Juuzou, I'm so sorry, but Muff- Tiskochi wasn't under your legal custody." Shinohara-san began, but the investigator wasn't having it.

For the past 5 days, Juuzou had heard nothing about Muffin's whereabouts.

Everybody refused to hand him valid answers, besides the usual, "She's okay".

The CCG was still in high working spirits, except those close to the Suzuya who obtained the same gray cloud said boy did.

Juuzou didn't speak to anyone unless it was more pressuring questions about his ex partner in crime, didn't breath in any sweets, spent long, sleepless nights with his mind constantly drifting off to the child's warmth that could've been radiating off to him, ate less and less each passing day, his usual enthusiasm to ghoul missions dissipating bit by bit, and Juuzou's constant visits to the zoo had washed down the drain right along with everything else he'd dismembered on his list.

"I want her back!" Juuzou choked out, using his long sleeve to wipe at his slobbering nose.

"Juuzou,-"

"She was my best friend...she...she was like a little sister to me! She...she was family."