h i g h l a n d

H I G H L A N D

H I G H L A N D

Copyright © June 2k16 by KnightPeyton

All rights reserved. Written by KnightPeyton

No part of this book may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without written permission except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical articles and reviews in times of need.

Typography by 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   Maybe it was how her dark hair blew behind her from the light breeze or how she walked like her feet never touched the ground. Maybe it was how her arms swayed from side to side or how empty yet full her eyes were when they met mine. But no matter what, only one fact remained-I have fallen in love with Tori Matthews.

~

    I stood in front of the house, hearing my heart pounding in my chest. Popping a breath mint into my mouth, I adjusted the tie of my tuxedo with my sweaty hands. I stared at the door, imagining what they could be doing. What she could be doing. It was minutes later when I realised that I had been standing for too long on the front porch and mustered the courage, pressing the doorbell with trembling fingers.

    The door opened slowly and I held my breath, waiting anxiously to see who was behind the door. It was her. I gave her a weak smile and she laughed, her head thrown back and her shoulders shaking. She was wearing a simple white dress with a rose on her right upper arm, making my eyes light up. There was make-up on her face and I was a little disappointed. She looked amazing without make-up. She looked at me with those her honey brown eyes of hers and pursed her lips.

    "How do I look?" she asked, hope gleaming in her eyes.

    "As gorgeous as always," I replied and held out my hand to her. "Ready to go to prom, Tori?"

    She took my hand and curtsied, her eyes never leaving mine. "I am ready."

~

      She was crying. Her tears streaked down her cheeks, ruining her mascara. She sat on the ground, leaning against the walls, her hair messed up. I had no idea what had happened. I had gone to get some drinks for the both of us and when I came back, she was like this. I ran to her side and lightly touched her shoulder.

    "Tori, what's wrong?" I asked, my eyebrows furrowing with concern. 

    She shook her head and sniffed. Tori was still beautiful even when she was crying. She siped her face and stood up slowly on her wobbly legs, holding on to me for support. I held her tight, afraid to lose her. Afraid to lose everything. She was the one that brought light to my life. She was the one that completed me.

    We drove me home in silence.

~

    I handed her the bouquet of flowers and the necklace, grinning. She looked shocked, her mouth hanging open. I could see tears gathering in her eyes and worry filled me. Before I knew it, she engulfed me with a hug and sobbed. Breathing into her, taking in her smell, I wrapped my arms around her.

    "Thank you," she whispered into my ear, her breath tickling my neck.

    I murmured back, "You deserve the best."

    She stepped back and gazed into my eyes before leaning forward to me. Her hands oushed against my chest as our faces got closer. By then, my heart was beating furiously and beads of sweat appeared on my forehead. Panic mounted in me-till our lips met.

~

    News traveled fast. As I went around the hallways, I could hear everybody whispering. And when I heard it, I dashed straight to the classroom on the third level. Everybody gave way for me, knowing that I was the one closest to her. I skidded to a top when I reached the classroom and spotted a group of people huddling around something. No. I pushed them away and on the floor was a girl, her hair covering her face. A pool of blood surrounded her and soaked into her clothes. Tori.

    "Tori? Tori!" I shouted out and knelt down, shaking her shoulders. "Tori, come back.

    Desperate for anything, I saw her hand clasping onto something. I unclapsed her hand and inside was-the necklace I gave her.

~

    The police said that they had found something on her when they were investigating the scene. A cut. On her wrist. When? They could answer-right before she entered the classroom, seen clutching her wrist. Where? They suspected that she did this in the bathroom next to the classroom, where a few drops of blood were. How? They found a scissors with blood on it in her backpack. Why? They never knew. Students went around, speculating, gossiping. But I never participated in any of it. Because no matter what, only one fact remained-Tori Matthews, the girl who stole my heart, the girl who shocked us all, was amazing.

~ E N D ~