Chapter 8

Zayn's POV

It took everything he had to walk out of Liam's office. He knew he could have stayed there in his presence all day but reality kicked in and there was a deadline to meet and a sick Brandon to pick up. He called his driver and made sure he was waiting out front for him already. 

Walking through the offices he notices his employees trying not to stare at him. They're still not used to him being outside of his office and he thinks their reactions are funny. Everyone scampers away to their offices or think he can't see their eyes from behind their coffee cups as they drink. He honestly can't remember how it came to be that he's some heartless business man. Sure they might be intimidated that he's successful and still so young but what did they expect? Some 20 year old partying and not taking anything seriously? No. His father taught him business is always a serious matter and there is no time for messing around. 

As the elevator goes down he thinks about how he's now thirty-four, oh how time passes when you're in business. Looking back he could have probably loosened up a bit or how his ex would say 'live a little'. But he chose not listen to some nineteen year old who got everything handed to her on a silver platter by her father.

Maybe if he hadn't been so serious all the time he could have had what he wants now, a family. He shakes his head, he probably wouldn't be as happy as he's getting to be. He thinks Liam would have probably some how found his way into his life either way. Because he knows he wouldn't be able to resist being with Liam no matter what the situation. The time now is perfect.

His driver, John, is waiting with the door open like always and Zayn gives him a nod. On the route to the preschool Zayn can't help but chuckle at that thought. Never in a million years did he think he would be picking up a child from a preschool. It never crossed his mind, his business always being the number one priority. 

The boys' school is relatively close and he tells John he won't be long and makes his way into the colorful building; he feels a bit out of place with his Armani suit.

He walks into the main office and he gets the same kind of treatment as he does at work. People trying not to stare and whispering. Of course now it's just a bunch of women who blush when he nods and gives them a small smile trying not to seem too intimidating, he is in a building full of children and not people he pays to work after all. 

"Good afternoon, what can I help you with today?" the secretary says with a little too much enthusiasm. Her smile reaching from ear to ear.

"Hello I'm here to pick up Brandon Payne."

Her smile never leaves her face, "And who are you to Brandon?" 

Zayn doesn't hesitate to say, "I'm his father's partner."

"Oh my gosh really? Liam and I have book club together!" 

He thinks this lady is way too excited but he can't be his normal self so he smiles along, "That's great, um is there some form I have to sign?"

She quickly nods her head, "Yes yes, Liam called gave the approval for you to pick Brandon up, you just have to sign in to say you did." She hands him the clipboard and then picks up the phone to inform the nurse that he's here to pick up Brandon. 

She hangs up and takes the clipboard from him and checks that he filled it in, "Malik? As in Malik Enterprises?" Zayn nods his head. "My sister works there! I'm not sure what she does but she talks highly of you!" 

Zayn mentally rolls his eyes, great now she's going to tell her sister and the sister is going to tell the rest of the office. He has no problem if people know he's with Liam and he doesn't care that they will talk about his boss/employee relationship because he writes their checks. But Liam on the other hand seems to be a private person and probably won't want people knowing his business or have rumors be said about him. 

"Oh really? What's her name?" he asks.

"Her name is Lucy!" 

He internally groans, of course it would be Lucy. She used to be his secretary before Jane. He had to put her in a different department when she was relentless on her advances. Nice girl, just way too eager to please and from what he's heard has a big mouth when it comes to gossip.

"Wonderful employee," he says through a tight smile. He sees Brandon come out from a door past the office, he quickly with the most genuine smile and tone tells the secretary, "Would you mind not telling Lucy I was here? I wouldn't want Liam being talked about in the office, you know how he is about his privacy."

She nods her head,  "Of course not a peep!" 

He prays that she's nothing like her sister but with the way she continues to smile he doubts it. He'll have to warn Liam. 

It seems Brandon has realized who it is that's picking him up, he runs towards him. Zayn crouches down and picks him up, he notices how pale Brandon's skin is and how his eyes are droopy. But he still manages to smile when Zayn goes, "Hey buddy ready to go?"

Brandon says a quiet yes, and wraps his arms around Zayn's neck, resting his head on his shoulder. He can hear some lady coo from the next desk over.

"Well thank you, have a good afternoon," he says before the lady can say anything else. He books it out the office and towards the school entrance. 

"Alrighty buddy lets get you home, I bet you're tired?"

Brandon nods his head, mumbles a quiet,"Daddy?"

"He's at work, he really wanted to pick you up but he had very important things to get done. We'll see him later though."

John has an open door as soon as they reach the double doors, "You remember John right buddy?"

Brandon nods his head and waves with his small hand, "Hi John."

John smiles and tips his hat, "Hello Mr. Payne."  Brandon smiles at that and hides his face into Zayn's neck right after. He buckles Brandon in and makes sure John knows they're headed to Liam's. Brandon makes sure he has his hand in Zayn's before knocking out and it makes Zayn feel all warm inside. 

Making sure he doesn't disturb Brandon he grabs his phone and messages Liam, telling him he has Brandon. The conversation that follows has him smirking at his phone the whole way to Liam's. He knows Liam is a shy man with pure soul, so getting him out of his shell the way he is now is great. He knows with the shy touches he gives him and the blush that always seems to be on his face that Liam is new to a lot of things Zayn does. 

Liam had said he had bad experiences with his past relationships so he knows he's probably hasn't been treated the way he should be. He clenches his jaw at the thought, Liam should be treated like a prince.

 His phone buzzes and his smirk appears again. He can imagine Liam's blush and his lip caught in between his teeth. Their messages are so innocent, like those of teenagers with a crush. He can't remember the last time he had such a flirtatious conversation. But he can imagine that for Liam this is way more that what he's used to.

Liam doesn't respond to his latest message and thinks he might of made him uncomfortable. He's probably just trying to finish up he thinks. He doesn't have time to think about it too much when his door opens and he sees they have arrived at the apartment. He tells John he can go home and carries Brandon up the stairs. Like Liam had said, he finds the spare and enters the apartment. 

The homey feeling settles in quick and it has Zayn feeling warm all over again. If his mother knew what he was doing right now, taking care of a child in an apartment that has legos scattered all over the floor,she would probably cry.

She's been telling him she wants grandchildren since he turned twenty-seven and if she only knew she might have two already, she'd cry even more. He smiles at the thought. 

He walks down the hallway to where he thinks the boys' bedroom would be and lays Brandon down. He hangs up his little backpack with the Avengers on it which makes him smile. Takes off his jacket and his little light up shoes. Brandon doesn't stir through it all, he can hear his mother now 'Just like you jan'

He makes sure Brandon's comfortable and heads towards the small kitchen. He grabs the medication and takes out things to make a soup. He feels really domestic and he likes it. 

It might be a little early to tell his family about Liam but when he does he knows they'll be just as happy as he is.