Conflict 7: Begin

"Ciao, bella!" Flavio greeted you cheerfully as ever the moment you walked inside the dining room. Once again, the table which could be—was large enough for over fifty people, had a variety of breakfast dishes served on fancy china in front of the house's masters and guests. 'I just hope that Luciano wasn't there because I sure as Hell had no nerve to face him at the moment after what happened last night.'

"Bella?" Flavio called softly and you turned to him.

'Thank goodness.' You breathed a sigh of relief when you saw that the seat in front of him—where his beloved baby brother should be sitting on, frowning even in the morning—was empty.

"Hi, Flavio. I had a great time yesterday, but I never got to thank you" You said, taking your usual seat next to him.

"I'm glad to hear that, but no need to thank me"

You nodded and found yourself stealing a glance at the seat across you. Luciano didn't exactly linger any longer than a moment in your room, but a moment was all you needed. A moment was all it would take to see a glimpse of him beyond what you've suspected.

Last night

Luciano was bent over and he was crying. For all his steel-cold mafioso-boss tendencies, nothing could ever hide his true nature. Passion. Let's face it, Luciano Vargas was many things: misogynistic (as far as experience goes), rude, manipulative, conniving, blunt, and downright ax-crazy. However, for all it was worth, he was a passionate man. He loved his brother and his grandfather, regardless of how he showed it. He was protective and stubborn and... he was just fire.

Now that fire just let out all the heat it had, in the most pitiful way.

Bent over, with his knees on each side of your hips, he was weeping like a child lost in the midst of a storm. He was loud. Not what you had expected from a professional who seemed to have no qualms about throwing knives at people (or purposely missing for the sake of showing off). Seeing him like this, vulnerable as it could get, all those times you felt irritated and angry and just plain scared with his presence were overlooked. You felt something familiar about the way he was, though I can't pinpoint what that was, your arm reached upward. However, he had smacked (gently, surprisingly) it away before you could even touch him.

Luciano got up, took his dagger, and walked out the room without saying a single word.

When you got to bed you were too exhausted to even think about him or anything else, and just let sleep take over you.

"Ah, Luciano, good morning" The name made your head raise itself up and surely enough you saw Luciano entering the dining room. His brunette hair was combed and his eyes weren't swollen. It was almost like nothing happened last night.

"We're having your favorite today. Made it myself" Flavio said it with pride.

"Then it must taste terrible" Luciano took his seat and accidentally locked gazes with you. Instinctively, you turned away.

"You're so mean, Lucy" Flavio pouted in the way only he could, and then instantly cheering up in the way only he could "But I'll forgive you. Mostly because you're my favorite baby brother, and partly because I have a favor to ask you"

"What is it now?" Luciano stabbed the risotto with his fork in exasperation "Another opinion on what you look like in a Speedo? Just don't go to the beach, all right?"

Flavio reddened. Lutz and Kuro chuckled, and you bit your lower lip to hide the growing smile.

"You're so mean!" He said "But no. That's not it. I was going to ask you if it was okay for the ragazza and I go visit the winery"