Chapter Twenty Eight- Choices

He didn't have any nightmares that night. He didn't even remember his dreams at all. It concerned Roy. He was used to stifling hot nightmares every night and daymares in the morning; Waking up not being able to breathe with sweat pouring down the back of his neck.

It was a restless sleep this time. His body as restless as his motionless legs could be. The pain in his spine came back again. It throbbed and buzzed like a million wasps biting and stinging their way into his vertebrae. Still Roy bit his lip, tempted to down another three pills but chose not to. No, he had to make them last as long as possible. And although the amount he'd taken had given him a sort of high, it took the pain away just enough.

Despite being up most of the night, Roy hadn't heard Whit come back. His eyes fluttered open when there was a knock at the door.

Roy wasn't sure if it was his place to open it but everyone seemed to still be sleeping. He quietly unlocked the front door.

"Dade. Hi."

"I'm sorry. Is it appropriate me being here?"

"I don't see why not. No one is awake yet."

"Dahlia hasn't left for work yet. She wanted me to see if you were up to going to the library or not."

"Yeah," Roy nodded.

"May I come in?"

"Let's-let's just get going," Roy said groggily and closed the door behind him.

"How'd it go?" Whit asked.

"I'm not sure," Roy replied.

"Elaborate."

"I thought Whit was totally okay at first but he's pissed."

"At you or at the situation?"

"I think it's a little of both," Roy admitted.

"Understandable."

"I made my mother cry yesterday." They'd soon reached Dade's house. Dahlia sat on the porch with a cup of coffee. "I didn't want her to see me like this."

"It was inevitable, Roy. You know it."

Dahlia rose. "Will you be joining me today?"

"Yeah," Roy mumbled.

"You gonna stay here or at home?" Whit asked as Dahlia started the car.

"Possibly home. Possibly here. I don't know yet. I think my parents think I'm addicted to drugs. I passed out and they walked in on me."

"Did you take anything?"

"I had a painkiller, that's all."

"How much?"

"Like three or four."

"One probably would've been enough."

"Don't judge me, Dade."

Dade smiled. "You're right. Sometimes one isn't enough."

"Mmm," Roy agreed.

Dahlia didn't say a single word to Roy on their way to the library. A smile was across her face, though, and Roy questioned her when they got inside.

"How was dinner with William?"

"Oh? Fine. It was fine. It was nice."