Family Takes Care of Their Own - Chapter 1

It started on the day of my 13th birthday. It was rare for vampires to be born unless magic was a part of it. In the case of me and my brothers our mother had been a witch. She'd died when i was only 2 years old. I scarsely remember her. On the morning of my birthday Onyx woke me up by jumping on my bed singing 'Happy Birthday' loudly. Jayes came in behind him, a grin on his face, holding a plate of blueberry muffins. "Get out Onyx!" i yelled kicking at him. He grabbed my leg before it connected and shoved me off the bed. "Hey!" Both Onyx and Jayes were older than me and both had already went through puberty, which for us meant they'd woken up as vampires. They were both 10 times as strong as me (if not more) in every way until 7:17 that night. I wasn't looking forward to it. Onyx had told me horror stories about his change for the last 2 years. Even through he was the oldest he wasn't any more mature than i was. "Happy Birthday, Little Jay." Jayes said helping me up with one hand. "Thanks. You made these?" "Yep. Only the best for my little sister." I didn't bother answering. I was busy stuffing my mouth with muffins. Did i mention Jayes could cook? Not to mention he was way nicer to me than Onyx but Onyx knew how to get him to join in on things too. Still chewing i followed Onyx and Jayes downstairs to find the kitchen table laden with food. I fixed a plate of bacon, scrambled eggs and toast trying to contain the combination of anticipation and dread spreading thoughout me. Onyx left me and Jayes to take a shower telling me i'd better hurry if i wanted to go shopping before 'my big night'. When he was out of earshot Jayes laid a calming hand over mine. "Don't listen to him. It's not as bad as he makes it sound. I mean it does hurt but it's not that long." He smiled. "Anyway i'm sure you'll take it better than he did. Dad said he was screaming like a baby during his change." He finished his plate of sausages and stood. "Now c'mon. Let's go shopping."