Chapter 23 - Sophia

-2 Weeks Later-

Demi’s Pov

I woke up, it’s February 16th, I’m 33 weeks pregnant and this is my first day off bed rest; I have to go and see my doctor thought to make sure that 2 weeks was enough. Joe is now off work because the baby could come anytime and he started the nursery yesterday, but, of course I wasn’t allowed to see it because I was on bed rest. Joe told me that he finished painting the walls yesterday and that the carpet fitters would be coming this afternoon after we got back from my appointment with Dr Reed.

~

We both got up and got dressed before having a small breakfast and heading out to the car; Joe got in the driver’s seat and I got into the passenger. He started driving to the doctors for my appointment.

~

~~

~

When we got there we signed in at reception and then took a seat; we were called in about 10 minutes later.

“Demi” Dr Reed greeted as we walked in “How are you? I heard you had a spell in the hospital”

“Yeah” I replied, taking a seat “We got into a car crash” I paused “We nearly lost her” I said placing one hand on my stomach. Joe moved his hand and held my hand that was nearest to him and squeezed it tight, reassuringly.

“That’s so horrible” Dr Reed replied “Is everything okay now?”

“Yeah, I was in a sort of coma for a while and slept a lot, and Joe ended up breaking his leg. But we spent a bit of time in a maternity room before being sent home.”

“How long were you there?” she asked

Shouldn’t she know all this from reading my notes I thought “Umm, I’m not quite sure, but I guess around 8 or 9 weeks” I replied

Dr Reed paused and typed a few things into her computer before asking “So, since you have been discharged, how have you been feeling?”

“Well, I’ve been on bed rest for 2 weeks, which ended today” I explained

“Okay…” she said looking once again at her computer screen “It says here that you need a scan and a confirmation as to whether you can be discharged from bed rest. Does that sound right?”

“Yeah; that sounds right” I replied

“Okay, well would you like to get up on the bed Demi?”

I got up and so did Joe, he helped my onto the bed a then helped me to lay down; laying down wasn’t as comfortable as it used to be, but oh well, hopefully Dr Reed will do the scan quick enough. Dr Reed then came over and sat on the stool next to the bed and the scanning machine; she pulled the probe out of its holder and I pulled my top up. She then squired some gel onto my stomach, turned the machine on the placed the probe onto my stomach.

Our baby appeared on screen, she’s gotten so big, so quickly; but I have grown in size as well. Dr Reed moved the probe around and said “The placenta is in a good position. Baby is head down. Nice size; and fluid looks good.”

“Is everything good?” I asked

“Yeah” she replied

Dr Reed pressed a few buttons and then the sound of our baby’s heartbeat filled the room; just hearing that puts a sense of relief into me. It doesn’t matter how many times I hear it, every time it reassures me that she is okay. Dr Reed printed out a picture and handed it to me, I looked at it, she looks beautiful and I can just tell that she is going to be every more beautiful in real life!