6

The fog billowed off him, leaving chem trails in his wake as he made for the source of the alarm

The fog billowed off him, leaving chem trails in his wake as he made for the source of the alarm. His tugged his beard as he went, occupied by events of the last week. There was no doubt in his mind the inn had purposefully brought Calponia to him. Not after he laid eyes on that state of the art foolishness in the kitchen. He was lucky to coax four burners and a hot plate on a good day. It went to the nines to please her. He spotted a bread maker hiding in the corner. A bloody bread maker. The woman never met a floor that didn't like her face, but the Edgewise appeared to have complete faith in her ability to cook without burning the place down.

The question was why. Why had the inn gone out of its way to bring Calponia to him?

He paused, squinting through the fog as he tried to follow the way signs. Calponia stumbled up beside him, gasping for breath and clutching a stitch in her side. She was also missing a shoe. Mack felt a small stab of remorse for that. The fog between the ways was a strenuous journey for the uninitiated.

"Could...you...please....slow...down," Calponia wheezed, tossing her sweat soaked hair out of her eyes.

He should apologize to her. "What is it with you and losing shoes?"

She squinted up at him. "You're aware you smell like an exploded keg in a sewer?" The missing shoe proved to be tucked under her arm which she hopped in place as she shoved it back on.

Mack stiffened, trying not to let her see him lift his arm high enough for a whiff. Christ on a bike, the tart was right. He swore loudly, cupping his hands through the fog to gather it to him. An ephemeral shroud of gray moisture settled over him, leeching the stench from his skin and clothes. He shrugged his shoulders, flapping his coat until the stink literally rolled off him in scummy droplets of foam. Calponia wiped a drop from her cheek, caught between disgust and amazement.

"Neat trick," she said, wiping her hand on her baggy pants. Mack sighed, realizing at some point he would have to explain the complex metaphysics of what he just did. Or he could tell her it was magic. She seemed the type to buy it.

Refreshed, he seized on the way sign blazing in his Sight, following it mentally to their destination. He frowned. It was rare for an alarm to go off there. Another prick of remorse rattled him at the thought of bringing his very human and fragile tavern wench to such a place. He really should have given her an over view of the realms.

"Cal, stay close. Don't look anyone in the eye, and, most importantly, don't bleed," he said

"What?" She sounded like an startled pup.

Mack didn't answer, stepping into the Way Route. He heard Calponia's started yelp as she followed. The Way Route seized. He could feel it pressing down on him, trying to expel the bearer of the bête noir. To Mack it felt like a tight sweater. It would be ten times worse for his unfortunate apprentice. He snagged her arm and pulled her through to the other side.