38

The feathered plume smacked Mack in the face for the fifth time

The feathered plume smacked Mack in the face for the fifth time. His eye twitched.

"As you can see, we've had a few encounters that have left us worse for wear." The Ravelock facsimile droned on. It was a good one, Mack had to admit, nearly as good as those he encountered in the cyber clubs on Hume. The Captain's virtual duplicate lacked a few necessary qualities to fool the brain, and while Mack was aware the moment the simulated Captain buzzed against his senses, even Eleni was catching on.

"You're not Ravelock," she whispered, a hint of horror in her pale gold eyes. The facsimile paused before its shoulder dropped with a sigh.

"How bad is he?" Mack eyed the deck. There was old blood saturated into the wood grain of the Nephele. More than one of their battles against the Krakens left the lingering taint of death.

"The last encounter, one of the beasts attempted to rip the ship in half. If he hadn't held the wheel, it would have succeeded," said the facsimile.

"Is he alive," said Mack. He prodded the lower decks of the Nephele with his other senses. The influence of the Edgewise rose, humming against the back of his thoughts. Despite his reservations and unanswered questions, the tavern remained at the ready, a poignant gesture he wouldn't waste a second time.

"He--"

The facsimile flickered out of existence. Eleni gasped.

Mack frowned, puzzled by the sudden interruption. His other senses swept the ship again. Most of the combined crew were still above deck, including Eleni and the Munch. His apprentice had wandered below and she wasn't alone. He caught the coppery notes of the vampire and the flickering life force of the real Ravelock. He pulled back, concentrating. There was a hint of something familiar and elusive, something that didn't belong.

"What is he doing here?" Mack focused harder.

A jolt pierced his skull, a warning that rang between his ears. He swore, shaking his head and blinking furiously. Golden tinged shadows played against the inside of his eyelids with each blink. The tethers of the Edgewise were vibrating in his mind, a deep, bone rattling warning.

"Son of a bitch," he snarled as he sprinted for the lower deck.