002. leaving the nest

(A/N: Kotori means "small bird" or "bird of luck" in Japanese.)

--

Kotori nervously pulled at her uniform skirt as she walked down the hall of the main house. She reached the entryway where her new shoes for school sat neatly, waiting for her. She put her foot out and placed it into her shoe, one by one. She chose dark thigh high socks, only to cover up the bandages that were still around her legs. It was spring, but she chose the winter uniform top, to cover the bandages on her upper arms.

Hatori said she would have to wear the bandages for at least a few more weeks before the scars were fully healed. She had a weak immune system from not getting out much, so the chance of infection was higher.

Kotori stood straight after putting her shoes on, and picked up her bag from the floor, slinging it over her shoulder. Her eyes wandered to the sliding door in front of her. The door that would lead her outside, to her freedom.

For the first time in a long time, Kotori smiled. She pulled the door open and stepped into the fresh spring day. Momiji and Haru stood outside, waiting for her to join them. She grinned and ran toward them, waving her free hand at them.

--

There was a lot of people gathered around the outside of Kaibara High School for orientation. Mostly first years, like the three Sohma's that stood crowded together, scanning the class list posted on the school bulletin board outside in the courtyard. They had to be careful not to bump into anyone and risk exposing their secret.

"Momiji!" A female voice called from behind them, the trio spun around and spotted Yuki, Kyo and a young girl coming toward them. The girl's face, that was framed with long brown locks, had bright and welcoming smile.

"Yuki-kun, it's been a while." Kotori said softly, both Kyo and Yuki looked oddly surprised to see her. She stepped away from Haru's side and reached her thin arms out, enveloping Yuki in a hug. She heard Tohru gasp, probably because the lack of his transformation, and whisper something under her breath.

"It's been a long time, Kotori-san." Yuki said softly, returning the hug. "Kotori-san, this is Tohru Honda. Honda-san, this is Kotori Sohma."

Kotori pulled herself away from Yuki, and looked over to the girl. She gave Tohru a broken smile and held her hand out, Tohru quickly accepted her slender handshake.

"It's very nice to meet you, Kotori-san." Tohru said, her cheeks red from nervousness.

--

Kotori's day went by slowly, her class was shared by Haru, which made her less nervous about being around a lot of people. He would cast glances at her occasionally, checking on her, maybe? Or maybe he looked to make sure she was actually there?

Kotori took careful notes, but didn't interact much with the other students in her class. Mostly speaking quietly with Haru when there was a break in between classes.

Lunch time came around, Kotori was given a small allowance for lunch by Hatori. She would have preferred to make her own bento, but she never really learned to cook.

Kotori found herself on the roof of the high school, a sweet melon bread wrapped in it's plastic packaging in her hands. She nibbled at her lunch choice, her eyes fixed on the slowly moving clouds. Haru had left her side only to track down Momiji, promising to catch up with her before class started back up.