005. loss & gain

Early on Saturday morning at Shigure's house, the phone rang loudly. Kotori sat on the porch outside the living room, nursing a cup of tea, and could hear whispers of Shigure on the phone. Yuki and Tohru sat at the table studying for exams, while Kyo lounged on the roof.

"Kotori-chan," Shigure called from the doorway, "Phone for you."

Kotori stood, brushing out her knee length white skirt and followed Shigure back into the house. She picked up the phone and nodded to Shigure who headed back to his office.

"H-hello?" Kotori answered, her voice soft.

"Kotori, I'm afraid there's been an accident..." Hotori's voice said smoothly, her breath hitched in her throat.

"Your parents...."

--

Two days later, Kotori stood outside her family's house, where she had stood merely a month ago. She wore a long sleeved black knee length dress, that fit her body well and a pair of black  sneakers. Hatori stood beside her, dressed in a suit. The house was decorated for a funeral, there were a lot of people outside, waiting to pay their respects.

"Are you going in?" Hatori asked quietly.

Kotori didn't respond, moving her gaze from the house to her shoes. Small droplets fell from her eyes to the pavement in front of her. She snapped her head back up and moved suddenly toward the house.

As she entered the room where the bodies of her parents lay, she stopped and took note of a small child, no older than 9, sitting close to the bodies. The similar blonde whisps of hair and the saddened emerald green eyes stared blankly at the floor, a picture half the size of the boy sat on his lap. The picture was of a blonde haired woman and a dark haired man.

Kotori knew the faces in the picture, though she had no clear memories of their faces. She had shared her mother's hair, but her father's amber colored eyes. Her mother had left her a picture of them, before she left Kotori on her own in Akito's care. Akito let her keep the picture in a reminder of the things she will never have again.

Kotori stepped closer, her eyes scanning the covered bodies of her parents, then back to the boy.

"His name is Karou." Hatori informed, as he payed silent respect for the souls of Kotori and Karou's parents. He had met their mother often, when he would check on Kotori's well being as a baby. He had only met the father once, when he wiped their memories of the cursed child.

"Where will he go?" Kotori whispered to Hatori.

"Since your father's parents live in the Sohma Main House, and your mother's parents live West of Kyoto, I imagine he will be moved to the Sohma house." Hatori replied.

Kotori bowed on her knees to the boy, who silently watched her. She raised her head only to meet his eyes, but said nothing. He blinked, staring back into Kotori's gaze, trying to piece together why this girl had his father's eyes. Tears welled up in both their eyes. Then, Kotori whispered.

"It will be okay, otōto*. I'll take care of you now."

--

Kotori stood with her back to Hatori's car, her hair whipping around in the wind outside Shigure's house.

"I'm going back to the main house. I want to be with my brother." Kotori said evenly.

"Akito-"

"Screw Akito!" Kotori yelled, cutting Hatori off, "He took away my family once already, he will not stop me from being with my brother!"

Hatori sighed, putting his hand through his hair. Shigure emerged from the front door, his arms crossed. A smug smile drew across his features.

"So you'll be leaving?" He asked, leaning against the doorframe.

"I have my brother to protect..." Kotori murmured, her fists clenched at her sides. "I'll collect my things, wait for me Hatori-san."

Shigure moved to let Kotori pass and as she disappeared up the stairs, the two men looked at each other. Where had all this strength come from?

--
Two days earlier.

"Honda-san, can I ask you for a favor?"

"Y-yes! What is it Kotori-chan?!"

"Can you please pray for me? Pray that I have the strength to do what I have to do. What I want to do."

"I can do that, Kotori-chan."

(A/N; It's been a while. Hoping to continue this series. Sorry for the wait.
*otōto - little brother)