Chapter Three - It's a Start

So yesterday I did post a chapter called like to help. I was a competition which I thought you would like. But then a little while later I thought better of it because for what I wanted to do I think it would have been better while I was doing the first book.

So When at some point I come round to hopefully doing a Charles Brandon/OC I will post the Like to Help Competition so that you can get involved.

Thanks

Tasha Amy 

-Charlotte-

I sat at dinner with Harry. I was told that a new member of court was sent to handle Lady Mary.

"I have been discussing plans for your coronation with Mr. Holbein. Have you ever heard of the Bucentaur of Venice."

"Briefly. Isn't it a ship?" I wondered

"Yes, it travels out into the lagoon every year to renew his marriage vows with the sea. It's a magnificent thing adored with gold and bronze statues of Neptune, sea lions and other fantastical sea creatures. I'm going to build it and your going to travel in it from Greenwich to the city."

"It sound marvellous, but Harry, while I commend and up mostly grateful for the way you wish to lavish me. I would wish for something simple and intimate. Be at one with the people where they too can experience a new age that I hope would come with our marriage. It is not just a change for me but for them and I would like them to be a part of that." Harry smiled at me and stood up from his chair. I thought he might quietly reprimand me for not agreeing or something but instend he crouched down in front of me and took my hand kissing it.

"You're quite right. I just wanted to spoil you." I laughed softly

"You already do more than I wish. I love you for that, I think for such a magnificent ship a large family needs to me seen from it." I kissed his hand and he sat back down.

"I wished to ask you something, dear husband."

"What is it" he started picking at his food.

"I hear that your daughter Lady Mary still wishes not to sign the oath. As you know one of the things I so deeply wish for, apart from to be with child; is both your daughters to be once more a part of this family. With that being said I ask your permission to visit her."

"Now why would you want to do that?" I took some chicken before answering.

"Many have tried and failed. All have which have been men. Not to cause offence but I highly doubt they were sensitive or saw nothing but their own side. A woman on the other hand has a delicate touch and even may come out victorious. I see both sides and feel that with a soft less demanding approach might work." he stared at me

"Very well, but this will be her last chance. I grow tired and I have more important things to do. I will make preparations for you to visit her." i bowed my head

"Thank you."

It was another 3 weeks before I would leave to see the Lady Mary. It had been married nearly two months since I had been married.

"Her Majesty, Queen Charlotte." I entered still not used to being addressed as Queen.

"Your majesty." Lady Mary curtsied

"Your highness." I curtsied as well when I looked at her she was shocked.

"Could you please leave us." the bowed and the room emptied.

"May we sit?" I ask

"Of course." I took a seat across from Mary.

"You called me your highness, no one has called me such in years." I smiled

"I believe that everyone deserves their titles even though it is the person who carries them that are more important." she nodded

"Mary, I come in good tidings. While I have my beliefs about my predecessor one of them is the fact that her treatment of you was poor. I would like to rectify that mistake. Starting with your mother's funeral." she snapped her head up

"That was you." I nodded

"I know what it is like not to have a mother around for comfort, though my circumstance were different. It was your right to see her and say your goodbyes."

"Thank you, your majesty."

"Please, I ask that you call me Charlotte when we're are alone or in trusted company. I know that in your eyes there will never be another truthful Queen like your mother and I respect that."

"Thank you. My mother will always be Queen but since her death you are the second Queen of England." I smiled bowing my head.

"Might I ask you a question?"

"Of course."

"Are the rumours true that you are neither Catholic nor Protestant?" I was taken aback.

"While I do not label myself as one or the other, I believe that God loves everyone and everyone loves him. There is but a difference and that is how we love him. I respect what he wishes to come of us and how we do it but I also think that if he wanted us all to be the same then he wouldn't have created us so differently. Mary, you are a Catholic and I do not wish for you to turn away from your beliefs.

"However I feel it is my duty not only as a ally but as a friend that there are dangerous times ahead. My visit will be the last to discuss the matter of the oath."

"I'm sure you understand that I cannot sign it. I would damn my immortal soul."

"I know, and with every fibre in my being I wish you did not have to. But the King himself is starting to express wishes of a counter. Where you will not live to see your mother age or the possibility of having a future. Believe me when I say there is becoming no other way."

"So you say I should sign."

"I wish I had other words but I do not. Mary if you do not sign he will have you killed. And as much as I try there is nothing I would be able to do. I am not asking you to do this lightly but I hope that through signing this we can help your father create a peaceful Kingdom. Where everyone is happy. As a Princess I hope that is what you want as well as I" She looked down at the oath

"Will he truly have me killed?" she looked up terrified

"Yes. Nor I or your followers in the catholic faith wish to see you die."

"Why do you care for me? That whore did not."

"You have been left out in the cold for so long it can start to turn your heart. While I commend your mother for being a great Queen there is things that she could have done for you not to be cast out. I wish to rectify all that has been done wrongly. I wish to bring everyone into the warmth." She looked down and slowly and shakily picked up her quill dipping it in ink.

"God save my soul because I will never forgive myself." she dropped the quill once she signed it.

"Mary" I took her hand

"I know that it must feel terrible for doing such a thing but it will be worth it. I promise."

"Will it." I nodded

"I wish to tell you something. I unlike Anne did not wish to become Queen, that was never my intention. I thought that I would be some Countess or Duchess. But throughout my life on this earth I have seen so many things wishing I could change it but never believe I could. Falling in love with your father is one of the best things that has happened to me. He made me believe in so much more and broke down so many walls. I wish to repay him, by loving him, by giving him a son maybe more, and help him forge a Kingdom that his people and his children are proud to rule one day."

"I do not say this lightly...Charlotte but I think you will make a good Queen."

"At least someone does, I still have my doubts but I will try for your father picked me."