10

Maitland

My weary eyes opened and observed the scene around me. The couch I had been sleeping on left my body feeling sore but refreshed. The living room was dark as it was early in the morning. I shifted and my abdomen burned from the deep cuts I had received. We were supposed to look for supplies two days ago but my condition had put us behind our previous schedule. Today was the day that I was going to go out with the others. I was excited because I hated feeling useless. Soft footsteps sounded out to my right, I turned and saw Beau. He rubbed his eyes; his hair down and passed his shoulders and his torso bare. His back muscles were visible in the dim light shining through the blinds. I watched him silently as he crept into the kitchen. I thought about sneaking up behind him to scare him but I decided against it. I didn't need him attacking me in fear and besides I probably couldn't sneak up on him anyways. He rummaged around in the kitchen and I waited for him to walk out. He walked out munching on jerky with a glass of water in his hand, his almost stereotypical wolf paw on his chest was clearly visible. He glanced over at the couch and smiled, not realizing I was awake. He sat in a chair close to the couch and continued eating his jerky. He turned and bent down grabbing a small, thick book. The title Crime and Punishment, showed in cursive on the cover, I wrinkled my nose and wondered why he wanted to read that book. I found it quite boring when I was forced to read it my Senior year, he flipped open to a previously marked page and his brown eyes scanned the words. I cleared my throat and he jumped slightly turning to me.

"God don't do that," He said dropping his book and turning his attention towards me.

"Sorry," I replied with a slight laugh. "I just couldn't watch you read that book any longer."

"What? You didn't enjoy this book?" He said holding it up and I shook my head.

"I found it repetitive and boring," I replied and he narrowed his eyes obviously offended by my words.

"It's a literary masterpiece," He said leaning back in his chair. "Good morning by the way."

"Good morning," I replied back, I began trying to sit up and grunted as I did so. Beau watched me worriedly until I was done.

"You sure you're ready to go out today? We can stay," He suggested scratching his chest.

"We're already two days behind what we planned," I sighed and Beau nodded.

"Right," His lips twitched, his facial hair was really starting to come in making him look more mature. I kinda hated it, it was like seeing a younger sibling growing up. He sat there chewing on the same jerky he had been moments before. "You really think we could make a cure?"

"Of course, it's basic science. Something was made that caused people to turn into zombies. There's a cure, there has to be," I replied. "I'm going to make the antibodies with my own blood. Of course to know if it worked, someone would have to get bit and I don't want to risk that."

"Of course," Beau said, his knee bounced worriedly. It was stressful, everything going on. Sometimes I lay awake sleepless because I didn't know if the next day was my last or if I would never see my dad again. I'm over that now, it's just life and death. Shit happens and there's no point stressing yourself out over possibilities. I sighed and rubbed my eyes. Sydney bounced down the stairs, her red hair thrown up into a bun. Her brown eyes turned to us and she smiled.

"Morning," She said and Beau nodded at her.

"Morning," Beau and I both said. Sydney eyed Beau's naked torso and her cheeks went pink. I stifled a laugh as Sydney awkwardly slid into the kitchen.

"She was totally checking you out," I laughed and Beau rolled his eyes.

"Well I mean why not?" He said gesturing to himself, "I need to get a shirt on anyways." He slowly got up from the chair and made his way upstairs. Sydney walked back into the living room with a glass of water in hand. She looked at the chair that Beau was sitting in and a slight frown formed on her face. She took a seat in the chair and stared at me.