Lunge.

Lupin woke in good spirits that morning, knowing that he would be able to see Aurora for the first time in what seemed like forever. He couldn’t help but smile to himself as he showered and readied for the day, putting on a clean pair of trousers. The sun was shining and he knew he would probably end up carrying it, but he donned a light jacket either way. He had just finished eating a light bite of lunch and was preparing to leave for Hogsmeade when the owl startled him, tapping on the window. It was a tawny owl and he recognized it from Hogwarts. This realization sent his stomach sinking through the floor. Was something wrong with Aurora? Was Dumbledore telling him not to go to Hogsmeade after all? He untied the parchment from the owl’s leg and patted it on the head before it flew back out the window and off to attend to more business. He unfolded the paper with trembling hands.

Remus,

Miss Finch has been hospitalized after an attack during her trip to Hogsmeade village. She has been admitted to the infirmary at Hogwarts. I think it would be in your best interest to come as soon as you can.

The letter was unsigned, but Lupin recognized the writing. It was Dumbledore. His heart began pumping. What had happened to Aurora? Who had attacked her? It had to have been that madman, but how could she have done something this stupid? Hadn’t he been meeting her there to make sure that this wouldn’t happen?

“Aurora…” He said softly, grabbing his wand and taking a deep breath before turning on his heel and apparating into Hogsmeade. He hurried up towards the castle, his heart hammering in his chest as his lungs heaved for more air, but he couldn’t slow his pace. Aurora was in danger. She was hurt. What if she was dying? What if he didn’t make it? These thoughts pressed him on, making him walk despite the burning in his muscles. He ignored the looks of startled students as he burst through the castle doors, hurrying towards the infirmary. He couldn’t worry about the frightened looks he might be getting now that his condition was out. He was running out of time.

Then, the hospital wing was there like a beacon of hope and he practically ran the last few feet, shoving the door open with his hands.

“Where is she?” He demanded breathlessly. Dumbledore was there, along with McGonagall. Both had a grave look plastered upon their face and neither one seemed to want to answer his question.

“She is in good hands, Remus. A Healer from St. Mungo’s has just arrived.” Dumbledore told him calmly.

“What happened? Where…I want to see her!” Lupin insisted, the words coming out in a flurry. Dumbledore sighed and exchanged a meaningful glance with McGonagall.

“Very well, Remus, but we mustn’t interfere.” He said, bowing his head. Lupin followed him into the infirmary and around the curtain they had pulled around a bed. The Healer and Madame Pomfrey were busy at work, patching up wounds and mixing tonics. He stood near the bed, watching with horrified fascination. Aurora looked so pale and so fragile and immediately he felt a wave of regret wash over him for agreeing to let her fight this man. There was dried blood on the pillow, which had come from the back of her head, already covered in a bandage. Her shoulder was being wrapped now, the blood not ceasing.

“What happened?” He asked again, tears burning in his eyes. Madame Pomfrey looked up solemnly.

“She was hit by some curse and it sent her flying backwards so that she hit her head on a rock.,” Madame Pomfrey explained, “We’re not sure who, but someone alerted Dumbledore as to what had happened. They left this.” She nodded towards the bedside table at a great feather, one that Lupin recognized from Buckbeak. How had Sirius returned without being detected? Was he stupid? 

“Where is that man?” Lupin demanded now.

“She is well tended, Remus. There is nothing you can do here." Dumbledore was standing by his side, a steadying hand on his shoulder, guiding him gently back to the waiting area.