Every New Beginning

The Healer looked at Madame Pomfrey sadly before glancing once more at the lifeless form lying on the bed.  

"I hate being the bearer of bad news." He sighed, and she put a hand on his shoulder.

"I'll go with you." She assured him, her voice breaking with tears. They walked slowly, heads down, towards the doors. Poppy Pomfrey had never experienced a death at Hogwarts, as they were so rare. The last one had been fifty or so years ago, when the Chamber of Secrets was opened for the first time, and she hadn't been here then.

They pushed the doors open slowly, standing somberly in front of the expectant people waiting for them. The Healer gave them a look that told them what had happened. It was Liam who spoke.

"Say it." He demanded, his voice low. The Healer took a deep breath.

"I’m very sorry. The coma was too deep for her to come out of. She stopped breathing and…she passed away."

~

Aurora and Mirielle were running, sprinting as fast as they could. The archway was coming closer to them, but as they got closer, it got smaller. Aurora was confused- wasn't it supposed to be the other way around? As they got closer it was supposed to appear bigger, that was...that was the way the world worked!

"It's shrinking. We're running out of time. We have to hurry!" Miri yelled, pulling Aurora faster now, if that was possible.

'Please, please let me get there. I don't want to die.' Aurora prayed silently, too breathless for voice.

They ran. 

~

Lupin focused on taking steady, even breaths. In for four, out for four. In for four, out for four. It served no purpose, but it kept him from thinking about what was going on inside the infirmary. The steady rhythm soothed him into a state of numb stupor. Lupin ran his hand through his hair, sniffing as he wiped the tears from his cheeks. She was going to be okay. He felt it in his very bones. She had to be okay, there simply wasn't another option. So that was why it took him by surprise when both th Healer and Madame Pomfrey came into the room, their faces grave. He heard Liam demanding them to speak. Say what? It didn't make sense. Lupin watched them, his face falling and his eyes going blank, his mind numb. She passed away the unfamiliar man's words rang in his head, taunting him. She passed away. Away. Passed away.

He heard the news and it felt like someone had punched him in the stomach. His face twisted into an expression so full of agony it looked almost inhuman. Liam began to protest, shaking his head back and forth with a defiant gleam in his eyes.

“You’re lying.” He said after a moment, his voice sounding almost like a growl.

“She promised that she would live. You’re lying. You’re lying. She’s not dead. You’re lying.” Each time he said it, his voice grew louder until he was shouting. The sound grated on Lupin’s ears. He set his jaw angrily, clenching his fists beside him.

“You’re lying. Aurora wouldn’t die!” Liam insisted.

“Liam, stop.” He demanded flatly, the emotionless tone a threat in itself.  Liam stared incredulously at Lupin.

"But she promised." He said with a shake of his head. He turned to Dumbledore with confusion and understanding tangled together in his eyes.

"She promised." He said flatly as tears gathered in his eyes for what seemed the millionth time that night.

"She promised," Liam repeated again, his words a strangled whisper.

~

Aurora and Mirielle ran on, coming upon the archway as it was closing. It was nothing but a black hole now. They ran and came to the edge of the path, ending suddenly like a cliff.