nine

(A/N: WHEN THESE CHARACTERS ARE SO OOC THAT YOU DONT EVEN GIVE A FUCK)

• Leo •

  I was dreaming; I had to be.

  There my mother stood, in front of me like nothing had ever happened, like we had lived life as we would if Hera hadn't have gotten in the way.

  No - this wasn't a dream. This was a memory.

  We were at my mom's shop. It was her pride and joy. She had such a passion for her work, I used to watch her with wide eyes full of admiration. She looked so happy.

  She would ruffle my hair. Tell me I was going to be like her someday. Or I was going to be whatever I wanted.

  I wanted to be just like my mom.

  She went to the boiler room. The door was locked. My hands erupted into flames. The fire spread. She screamed. I screamed.

  I shot up in my bed, clutching my chest. I couldn't breath. It felt like smoke caked my throat and lungs. Tears rushed down my cheeks and neck. I felt like I was drowning.

  "Hey, shh," a voice soothed, cradling me in their arms and rubbing my back. I sobbed into their chest and clutched their shirt tightly in my fists. "Breathe, Leo, you gotta breathe." Their touch was soft and I felt like I should know who it was, but my mind was clouded. "I'm here. I'm not going to leave you. I promise." They pulled me closer and held me tight too. I shook and sobbed into their arms until I didn't have anything left to cry. They laid me down in the bed and curled up next to me, letting me press my face into their chest. "I'm here, I promise. I'm right here, Leo." They tangled a hand with mine and held it to their beating heart. "I'm right here. Always."

-

  I sat up and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. I looked next to me and saw that no one was there, which was weird, considering I thought I remembered someone helping me through the aftermath of a nightmare. I got up and got dressed, heading out to Jason's cabin. Right as I was walking out, Jason was about to walk in. He laughed and hugged me, pressing a kiss to my forehead.

  "How are you feeling?"

  "I don't know," I said, feeling him lace his fingers with mine. "Hey, did you come into the bunker last night?"

  "No, why?"

  "Someone was there with me," I admitted, watching as his eyebrows furrowed.

  "You were probably just dreaming," he said, shrugging. I pulled my hand from his.

  "No, no, there was-" I placed a hand on my chest, much like the person that was their did to themselves. I could feel their heartbeat through their chest. They were real. They were there.

  "Are you okay?" he asked, grabbing my cheeks and turning my face so I could look at him. "You've been way different lately."

  "Times have been rough, Jase."

  "I know. That's my fault and I'm sorry," he apologized. "And I know you can't forgive me, but I'm going to convince you that I'm not going to leave ever again."

If you can.

  He leaned in and pressed his lips softly to mine, causing me to melt into him. Our lips moved against each other's, but something didn't feel right. 

I didn't feel right.

  I pulled away, turning to look away from him. He placed a finger under my chin and tilted my head up to look at him.

  "Jase, I-I don't know if I can do this."

  "Do what?"

  "I-" I thought about telling him what Nico, Percy, Piper and I were keeping from him. Would he leave me?

  Would it matter?

  I turned and ran back to the bunker, shutting and locking the door.

• Nico •

  Why did I do that? I'm such an idiot.

  I wiped my nose with my jacket sleeve and sniffled, keeping my head low as I sped towards the Apollo cabin. I knocked on the door Will answered, his blue eyes alight. He squinted at me.

  "Are you sick? I told you, no shadow-"

  "I'm not sick," I argued. "Allergies," I lied, wiping my nose again.

  "Liar. Are you...are you crying?"

  "No," I lied again, watching him glare at me.

  "Nico di Angelo, do not lie to me." His tone and expression softened, before he left the cabin and started walking with me. "Who do I have to punch?"

  "Me," I muttered, trying not to think about his puffy my eyes were and how red my nose was becoming.

  "I'm not gonna do that."

  "Then, Jason Grace, if you would."

  "Hades, no. You're on your own, kid," he said, before cracking a smile. "C'mon, I was joking! Give me a smile." I avoided his eyes. He stopped in front of me. "If you don't smile, I'll-"

  "I'm fine. Just stressed."

  "And why are you stressed?"

  "I didn't know you were a therapist, Solace."

  "And how does that make you feel?"

  I shoved his shoulder, rolling my eyes.

  "You're such an idiot, Vald-" I stopped myself, clearing my throat.

  "Ahh, I get it," Will whispered. "This is a boy problem."

  "No, it's not-"

  "This is a three-patch problem!"

  "Stop it with your stupid Sherlock puns. They're so annoying."

  "Shut up, you love them."

  I felt a smile slip into my face. I had almost forgotten what it felt like to be around someone who was happy.

  "Valdez, I'm guessing? Nico, what did I tell you about the straight ones?" Will asked, shooting me a look, before rolling his eyes. "Oh, come on! You're such a downer. Smile. Talk to me. Let me know you're still listening so I don't look like an idiot."

  "You are an idiot, so..."

  "Payback's gonna be a bitch, you little brat."

  "Bring it on, dick breath."

  "You suck!" Will complained.

"You swallow," I retorted, before a small smile slipped onto my face.

"Alright, fine, you got me there. Now tell me what's going on."

I took a deep breath, before sighing. I didn't want to say it to Will, because then it would feel real. I had already said it to Percy, but Percy wasn't here to spoil my secret.

"I um...I like someone, but he's in love with someone else."

"Ouch."