thirteen

• Leo •

I woke up to someone shuffling beside me. I instinctively tightened my arms around them and pulled them back against me. I heard a soft giggle.

"Leo, aren't you ready to go to Six Flags?" Nico asked as he pressed a kiss to the top of my head.

  "Five more minutes," I mumbled and he laughed, before pulling away from me.  

  "Fine. I'll leave without you, then."

  I sat up and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. 

  "Fine, I'm up, I'm up."

I watched as Nico pulled out a black Ramones shirt and some black skinny jeans. He threw a look to me, raising an eyebrow.

"Are you just gonna watch me or are you going to get ready?" he asked and I felt my cheeks flush, before I got up and walked to the dresser, where I had already packed my clothes. I pulled out a white t-shirt and some random blue jeans. "Did you ditch the suspenders?"

"I prefer my jacket."

I watched his face fall, before his eyes flickered to my exposed wrist. I quickly hid it from his view and tried to ignore the hurt in his eyes. I walked to the bathroom and changed, staring at the way the dark scars contrasted against my already tan skin. They were very noticeable, and I hoped that would change pretty soon.

After throwing my clothes on, I walked out of the bathroom and saw Nico sitting on the couch, flipping through a book.

"The Odyssey?" he asked, looking towards me.

"I know, you don't expect me to be at that level of reading-"

"No, actually, you're very smart. I'm not surprised. I'm just surprised that you have it, considering-"

"Calypso. Reading about her makes it seem like she's a little less real."

Nico nodded, before watching as I shrugged on my green army jacket and laced up my combat boots. I noticed he was wearing black converse and his Aviator jacket.

"Are you ready?" I asked and he nodded, before standing up and grinning at me. We walked out of the hotel and started walking towards the bus that would take us to Six Flags. Nico and I sat next to each other in silence, but it was comfortable. He occasionally snuck glances at me, a small smile playing at his lips. We finally got to the park and I watched Nico's eyes grow wide with excitement. He grinned and pulled me towards the entrance, before paying for both of our tickets. I knew it was expensive, and I offered to pay for mine as well, but he waved me off. We entered the park and Nico grabbed my hand, lacing our fingers together. I felt my cheeks flush and Nico blushed as well, turning to me. 

  "Sorry. I don't like crowds." He went to pull his hand away, but I grabbed it again and interlocked our fingers. He gave me a shit-eating grin, before he began to walk ahead. "What should we ride first?"

  "What about the Pandemonium? You know it used to be called Tony Hawk's Big Spin?" I asked.

  "Well, now I do."

  We rode that and many others. I revealed that I had stolen a Flash Pass when I was here last night and Nico just gave me a devilish smile. The pass meant we got to go to the front of the line. It was great, because it was kind of busy and the gods knew I had no patience whatsoever. We rode rides for around two hours before we headed to lunch at Johnny Rockets. (Seriously, the burgers are the best you'll ever have in your entire life.)

  I paid and watched as Nico went to protest, but I placed a finger on his lips to shush him. He smiled, before we grabbed our food and found a seat.

  "Is this a date?"

  The words slipped out of my mouth before I could register what I was saying. I cursed my lack of a filter between my brain and mouth and felt my cheeks flush. Nico's did as well.

  "Do you want it to be?" he asked.

  "Kinda."

  "Then it's a date," he said, grinning. I smiled, before digging into my burger. "Oh my gods," he whispered, staring at the burger. "This is the best damn thing I've ever had in my entire life."

  "I know right?" I asked and he nodded, before taking another bite. A few moments later, he turned to me.

  "Batman or Superman?" he asked randomly.

  "The rides or the actual superheroes?"

  "The superheroes. We haven't ridden the Batman or Superman yet."

  "We'll do that next, then. And Superman."

  He gasped in mock hurt.

  "But Batman is so much better."

  "Batman doesn't have any superpowers," I reminded him, before flinching as a French fry hit me in the face. "Hey!"

  I threw one back at him and he laughed. We ended up getting fries everywhere, before the manager stormed over to us and demanded that we get out. We couldn't stop laughing and giggling as we ate our burgers outside.

---

  The sun began to set, but we stayed at the park. It didn't even close until midnight and it was around seven, so I wasn't worried. I pulled him towards the Sky Screamer, which - despite its name - was very peaceful and I knew it would be a great choice while the sun was setting. I showed the operator my Flash Pass and we got on.

  It was a two-seater swing. They were two separate swings, but they were connected by chains. I sat on the inside and let Nico sit on the outside.

  The ride started and we started to rise up. I saw Nico grin and wondered if he felt the same adrenaline rush I did. We rose to the top of the ride, which was 400 feet up, I think I remembered reading. The wind whipped my hair back and Nico's too.

  "Look," he whispered, and I looked at what he was pointing at. The sun was setting and it looked gorgeous from up here.

  The ride landed and I could tell Nico felt giddy. It was fun seeing him like this, as opposed to the scowl he always settled for.
  We rode a few more rides and did a couple of games while we were at it. He won me a giant stuffed Charmander, earning a laugh from me because how appropriate.

  (A/N: this is very overdue and I am very sorry)