Part Four

Lex pulls me up and starts his way out of the court. I follow him like a duckling. He opens the glassy, smudge-free door and lets me pass through. 

"Since you're wanting a job in organization, I guess we can go to my office. I mean if I didn't show you were you'd be working that would be ludicrous. Do you think not?" he pauses taking a long breathe. "Ah, sorry. I could stop asking so many stupid questions." Mr. Luthor brings his palm to forehand and squeezes his eyes closed. 

"Mr. Luthor, its absolutely fine. I don't mind." I reply quickly as we continue down the long bright hall and then make a right. He speeds up his walking pace; I do the same in order to  keep up. He stays quiet and opens the door to his office. Its as glorious as it was yesterday, never lost its charm. 

"Here you'll organize my papers and room, but I strictly ask you not to touch the things in my desk. Its locked for a reason. Just... just stack the papers on my desk with a post-it note on them." his tone is much more serious. He sits down in his chair behind the dark oak desk. He watches me; I stare back. This continues for quite some time. Feeling foolish I start to organize a group of papers. 

Hm, looks like finances. A whole freak'in lot of finances. 

A single piece of paper flies out of the stack and lightly brushes the ground. Both Mr. Luthor and I jump out of our seats and head towards it. I reach down to grab it, Lex does the same. We hit our heads together hard. 

"Oh my, Mr. Luthor! I'm terribly sorry. Please forgive me." I quickly straighten myself up despite the shooting pain on the left side of my head. I grab the paper from Lex and place it neatly upon the rest of the stack. Only then do I realize what it is.

Is this a... love letter? 

"That's not where it goes, Miss Gately." he growls and harshly pulls it off the top of pile. I didn't even get enough time to see who it was addressed to. He glares down at the piece of paper, crumples it up, then angrily throws it into his desk. "I forgive you, Mary. It is  my fault that it was left out. Now, how is that pretty little head of yours?" his alarming tone turning into a playful one. He places his thumb under my chin and lefts it up in order to get a better look at me. 

"Um, I'm fine. I terribly sorry, I'm going to continue organizing your office if you don't mind." I lie as my head buzzes and I pull myself away from his touch. I can hardly hear myself talk. 

Oh god.

I feel my legs give out from underneath me. The view of Lex looking down at me fades out as I feel myself start fall into unconsciousness. 

"Mercy! Bring me ice!" Lex yells as he swiftly places one of his arms under my legs and the other on the small of my back. Then, he promptly lifts me up, which is the last thing I sense before I am completely unconscious.