Teaser

My breathing sharpens. Then slows. Then I'm not breathing at all. My heart pounds faster and faster and I'm afraid it will burst. Droplets of liquid nerves flood the creases in my palms. I wipe my hands against the fabric of my dress, but it doesn't help.

My fingers graze my sides and draw my attention to the skirt of my dress. I look down and observe.

My dress does not compare to the other contestants'.

I've seen them. I know how elegant and beautiful they looked before they went before King Xerxes. Some women had worn different styles of headpieces, each gloriously designed. Others had adorned themselves with nose rings and necklaces embellished with Persian rubies or stones. I continue to the silky, white fabric draping over the curves of my body, with my eyes.

Maybe it's too plain.

I had only chosen it at the Eunuch's suggestion. If anyone knows what King Xerxes admires, it's him. Everything I am wearing was his choice: The modest, golden bangles and earrings, this simple luscious dress. But as I'm standing here I start to second guess his vision.

Everything inside of me wants to find a place to run and crawl under, where no one will ever find me; where he can't see me.

I can't do this. I should just escape while I can. But all those months will have been for nothing! Ugh. Just breathe.

My chest tightens, and my lungs begin to ache. Momentarily I forget how to breathe. I gasp for air and unintentionally fill the room with echoes of the unladylike sound. Scrutinizing eyes dart in my direction. The room suddenly seems smaller as I focus on the cold stares and chiseled scowls.

At least they're not his eyes.

Then I hear footsteps. They are slow and steady against the large tiles that cover most of the foundation of the palace. The sounds grow closer and I see a familiar face walk toward me. He smiles and parts his lips to speak.

"He'll see you now."