Chapter Nine

An ear-curdling scream rouses me from the realm of nothingness. My bare skin shivers against the cold floor, and the panic fills me once more. I strain my eyes, taking in my surroundings to escape the danger, but my vision is blurry. I take in a shallow breath as I force my flimsy arms to push me off the slippery floor surface.

I waver as I try to stand, but I'm saved from stumbling back onto my knees by a pair of steady hands. I blink my eyes, willing them to clear so I can see who is in front of me, and where the viper is now. Shapes begin to take more detailed forms, and the slender figure in front of me becomes recognizable.

"Don't move, milady," she whimpers nervously. Her eyes dart past me to the puddle coating the area around the tub. I follow her gaze, despite her warning. The black scaled viper slithers aimlessly in the water. I gasp, and tears fill my eyes.

"Someone -tr-i-i," I stutter uselessly.

She shushes me soothingly as she carefully grips my wet arms harder, slowly guiding me out of reach of the viper. I don't see anything or hear the words the servant says. The only sounds I can hear is the memory of my own screams as I tried to escape the tub, and the face of the girl who attempted to end my life.

I don't know how it got there, but a warm covering wraps tightly around my naked body, and someone holds me up as they carry me out of the room. I don't know how much time has passed before I'm sitting. I snap out of my daze when I hear my name, my new name, called loudly.

"Someone tried to kill me," I say numbly to no one in particular.

"You're safe now. I've examined you. There isn't a sign of a bite. And if there was you would be dead by now. That kind of viper is lethal."

I gulp down the thick saliva that has formed around my tongue. The room I'm now in steals my attention.

"Where am I?"

The servant's hands begin to rub the top of my head, and I wince. The stinging subsides as she pulls a white cloth stained with red away.

"I've taken you to a different treatment room. The guards have been informed of the viper and have probably taken care of it by now."

I nod my head, taking in her words, but no amount of trying to deny reality could protect me from what was about to happen. I could feel the trouble brewing in my bones. Hours pass, and I rest in my room, alone. No one has bothered me, but several bodies have passed my doorway, I presume to observe the new harem spectacle. As quiet as they think their whispers are, I hear every curious question and snide remark.

Gaftily and Dallyn have tried so hard to comfort me, but I only give them silence in return. Reluctantly, they eventually gave in and left me to be alone with my thoughts.

Every tiny sound sends a chill down my spine, and I jump from my position on the bed to check the floor of my room and the beds surface. The fear that whoever did this will try to finish the job is strong. Again, I see nothing there. I slip back into the covers and close my eyes.

I don't know how much time has passed, but when I open my eyes again the sun is starting to set outside my window. Orange rays spread across my room, fighting away the imminent darkness. Footsteps clap against the floor. I release a soft sigh, expecting it to be another inquiring mind just passing by for a quick glance.

I don't expect the footsteps to grow louder as they enter my room. I turn from the window and sit up. Haggai is standing in front of my bed. His eyes are softer than they were when I last saw him.

"Haggai," I murmur.

"Are you alright?"

I shake my head, swallowing hard to keep myself from crying in front of him. Seeing him standing there, posture stiff, sympathetic smile on his lips is almost too much to bear. I realize in that moment how attached I've grown to him over such a short period of time.