Ch. 3 "Like Water"

A/N: Here's chapter 3! They're going to start their training. I still need ideas for Lei's Xmen name! Comment if you have any ideas! Music is: "Agni Kai" from Avatar: the Last Airbender soundtrack

            The cool morning breeze blew through the open windows and across the room, stirring the sleeping form beneath the silk sheets. The form tossed and turned, before slowly pulling back the sheets to reveal a young woman, her dark hair tangled from a night's rest. The woman stretched, a high pitched yawn escaping her lips before she leaned up to stare out the window.

            It was a bright, sunny morning. The morning dew still hung sweetly in the air and birds were chirping in the woods along the mansion. She eased out of the bed, shivering as her feet connected with the cold hardwood floor and she made her way to the window. Lei smiled against the morning sun before realizing what today had in store.

            She closed the windows and sighed. Charles had informed her yesterday that they would be training to see where her abilities needed work. The twenty-five-year-old shook her head and began getting ready, placing on her provided exercise clothes and shoes before wrapping her hands with boxing gauze and heading out the door.

            "My powers only go so far, Charles," Lei explained, nervously tightening her braid. "I have the potential to control other elements, yes, but that is extremely rare and takes years to master."

            "I know, my dear. But water is in everything and if you can control water," he said, pointing to her before sweeping his arms out and smiling. "Then you can control so much! Trees, flowers, clouds, oceans..."

            "Animals, people..." Lei barked, interrupting the young telepath.

            Charles dropped his arms and stared at her, the boyish smile quickly leaving his lips.

            "What's wrong?" He asked her. The presence of his mind linking with hers made shivers wonder down her spine. She wondered if she would ever get use to that.

            "It's nothing," she chimed back, wrapping her arms around her body in an attempt to comfort herself. "It's just that... the last time I used my abilities, it didn't end too well for my family."

            Charles took a step towards the young woman and placed his hands on her arms. He bent down, craning his neck so that she had no choice but to look at him.

            "You're with us now. Trust me, no one can hurt you while you are here," he promised, giving her arms a reassuring squeeze. Lei slowly nodded, staring up to gaze at his blue eyes. Charles dashed a grin at her.

            "Are we going to train, or are you guys going to continue making googly eyes at each other?" Erik remarked, knocking the two out of their reverie.

Lei took a step away from Charles and unfolded her arms. She had almost forgotten that Erik was there.

Lei glared at him as Charles began speaking but the metal wielder simply smirked at her.

"Lei?"

"What?" She asked plainly, turning back towards Charles.

"Were you even listening?" He asked.

"No, sorry. What did you ask?"

Charles pressed a fist to his forehead before attempting to smile at her. "I asked if you would like to further explain the origin of your abilities to Erik here," he said, gesturing to the stoic man.

"Well," she drawled. "Where I'm from, originally, many people had the ability to control an element. Some water, earth, fire, air, and then there were the odd cases- but these are only rumors- where someone could control all four. There are, of course, rules to every one of these abilities. Most fire benders cannot create fire and most earth benders cannot control metal, because of the small traces of earth in it."