Ch. 9 "His Eyes"

After the incident with the pond and a quick shower, everyone had piled into the living room to watch the president's address on the TV. She knew it sounded weird, but Lei was less worried about what might happen to her tomorrow and more worried about what Erik might do. She knew that Shaw had done something very awful to hurt the metal wielding mutant. She just didn't know what, and that made Erik dangerous. No one knew what he might do and to top it all off, he'd been ignoring Lei all afternoon. After what had happened the night of the full moon, she thought they had become friends, but now she wasn't so sure.

Erik was playing a game of chess with Charles when he saw the young woman walk past the door and toward the kitchen. Her hair was still wet from her experience with Charles in the pond earlier that day.

"Your move, Erik," Charles informed. Erik's eyes slowly turned from the door and back to the game at hand. He moved the hand that he was resting his chin on to his lap, pulled the legs of his pants down and sat up straighter. Erik cleared his throat before his eyes followed the chess piece to where he wanted it to go and moved it with his electromagnetic powers.

Charles looked at the piece for a long time before slowly moving one of his horsemen. "You need to talk to her," he admitted, not looking up from the chessboard.

Erik scoffed and moved a piece to take down one of his opponent's pawns. "I don't need to do anything," he argued. Why should he? If Charles was all buddy-buddy with her, what did it matter what Erik thought?

The before mentioned telepath took in a rattling breath before scrunching back in his chair and pressing two fingers to his temple.

"She's upset that you're not talking to her," he tried again a few minutes later, leaning into his palm.

Erik ignored the comment and continued to move the chess pieces, trying to focus on the game.

"You really are daft, aren't you?" Charles mumbled.

Suddenly, Erik's fist connected with the table, knocking a few pieces over. Charles didn't respond to the outburst, instead opting to raise an eyebrow and move his king to take over Erik's queen.

"Check mate. Now go talk to her," he ordered.

Erik's eyes went round as he looked down at the board. "You cheated."

"I know I cheated. Now go talk to her," he ordered again. The taller man growled before jumping out of his chair and stomping towards the door.

He found her in the kitchen, using some wooden chop sticks to eat stir fry out of a container. "Lei, I need to talk to you."

Lei swiveled around in her seat, her eyes wide with surprise to see him there and talking to her. A noodle was sticking out of her mouth before she slurped it back into her mouth and began to chew. "What's up?" She asked, her voice distorted as she covered her mouth with her palm.

Erik stopped and stared at her. He'd rushed in so quickly; he didn't get to plan what he was going to say to her. "I wanted to apologize... for being rude to you today. It was uncalled for."

Lei slowly rose from her stool, her eyebrows pulled together in confusion. "Yeah. What was that for?" She asked innocently.

Erik shifted his stance awkwardly. "I, um..." he rubbed the back of his head and snuck a glance at her. The brunette was looking at him blankly, a slight intrigue behind her chestnut eyes. His hand fell from his neck and he decided to get it over with. He was a grown man and even when he was a boy, he never acted like this.

"I guess I was jealous of seeing you and Charles outside together this morning."

Lei stared at him in surprise before a small smile tugged its way across her lips. "Charles and I are just friends," she informed him, walking forward and putting a hand on his shoulder amiably. "You have nothing to worry about." Her hand began to fall, but he stopped her by placing his large hand over hers.

His eyes locked on hers for a moment before traveling down to the chain and pendant around her neck. "I've seen you wear that necklace every day. Why is it so important to you?"

Subconsciously, her free hand reached up to touch it. She wore the necklace so often, that she almost forgot that it was there. "It was my mother's," she confessed, sadness taking over her features. "She left it behind the day she was taken." Lei looked down at the floor, not comfortable with the intense gaze he was giving her.

"You and I aren't as different as you think," he said, his voice low. He used the hand that wasn't atop hers to lift her chin so that her brown eyes met his stormy blues. "I was taken away from my parents too, because of who I was."

Erik's hand fell from her chin and he rolled up his sleeve to reveal a series of numbers tattooed on his left arm.

214782. She read the concentration camp numbers slowly before looking back at the tall man. His gaze was focused on the carpet, eyebrows pulled together in thought before he suddenly looked up and took a large step to close the gap between them.

Lei thought he was going to ram into her before he stopped inches away and looked down at her brown eyes. "You never wear your hair down," he said lowly, deciding to change the subject. He pulled his hand back and began undoing her long braid.

Erik ran his long fingers through her hair, tugging at the fastened locks until they fell loose in dark waves. Lei closed her eyes and sighed in pleasure, leaning into his warm, gentle touch. She took in a shaky breath and opened her eyes, trying to compose her racing heart.

Erik's eyes remained locked on her hair, deep in thought of what tomorrow would hold, before his eyes travelled down to her lips. She was smiling up at him, and her pearly teeth were almost a stark contrast against her peach colored lips.

She furrowed her brows. "Erik. What are you-" Lei gasped when she felt his lips press suddenly against hers. Slowly, she relaxed in his hold. Something aroused in him when he heard Lei moan against his thin lips and he deepened the kiss.

Her mouth tasted of Chinese noodles and roasted pork, but it didn't bother him.

Lei's slender arms wrapped around his neck as she craned her back to get a better reach of his lips. His hand fell from her shoulder and snaked its way around her waist, the other on the area under her ear as he pulled her flush against him.

Their bodies connected with the marble countertop of the kitchen and Erik begrudgingly pulled away from her lips. His breathing was deep as he tried to regain oxygen back into his lungs. He stared down at her. Slowly, her eyes opened and they were blue, filled with passion before it faded and the almond shaped eyes were brown once again.

Erik's eyes twinkled with mischief. "I'll see you tomorrow," he said huskily before walking away.

Lei felt like she was in a daze as she stared back at his retreating form. She touched her lips daintily, still feeling the firm hold his lips had on hers. She smiled before turning away and sitting back down to finish her meal.

A/N: I hope that this chapter was okay for you guys! This is actually the first kiss scene that I've ever written. Only three chapters left!

 Only three chapters left!