Chapter 1

Hi, thanks for reading my story. Due to publication this story is now a sample size only. If you would like a digital copy you can find one at Amazon, Smashwords, iBooks, Kobo and Barnes and Noble

Copyright © 2015 by Sandra Corton

ISBN: 978-0-6480239-2-0

All rights reserved.

Published by Sandra Corton

No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval systems, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or used fictitiously, and any resemblance to any actual persons, living or dead, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.

Cover Design by Marianne Nowicki

Chapter 1

Kale's POV

It happened at a normal dinner one night. I went from being completely fine with being different to hating it. Nothing unusual started it, I had just been laughing at Xander and Matilda's antics when it struck me. I was different, I didn't fit in here and I never had.

I knew that of course but it wasn't until that moment that I felt so profoundly affected by it. I wondered what had changed but glancing around to my family it seemed that nothing had, only me. Dad set me an odd look as though he sensed the change but I just shrugged.

"Kale come in here for a minute." Dad called to me as I went to walk past his office after the fateful dinner. I tried to act casual as I walked through the door but my Dad knew me too well for that.

"Hey Dad what's wrong?" I asked as I plastered a fake grin on my face.

"Don't try that Kale." Dad sent me one of those looks that I swear he learnt off Mum. It mesmerised you into telling him everything, yet it didn't even require a spell. "Tell me what happened."

"I haven't got a clue. One second everything was fine and then it wasn't." I told him, the confusion evident in my voice.

"That's all it was?" Dad asked in surprise.

"Pretty much." I said with another shrug.

"Is everything okay in here my boys?" Mum poked her head in with a smile.

"I'm not sure Leena." Dad answered as he gestured for her to enter.

"Tell me what's going on?" She said as she sat next to Dad and looked at me with eyes identical to mine.

"Something changed in me at dinner. I get the feeling that I'm not supposed to be here anymore." I replied while still trying to pinpoint what had actually occurred.

"Not supposed to be where?" Dad asked with a frown.

"Here." I waved my hand at Dads obliviousness. "In Argonia." I told him which made him pinch his brow.

"Kale you can't live on earth permanently, you never spent enough time there when you were younger." Mum said softly and a bit sadly.

"Do you think I don't know that already?" I replied in exasperation.

"Back up for just one moment and explain how you know you're not supposed to be here anymore?" Dad asked his face serious.

"I don't know but I never fit here that well anyway." I looked around the room as I admitted it, not daring to look at either of their faces.