New Life for Richard - Part 2

You stare at the stick in front of you and compare it to the paper in your hands. There's no mistake...the little stick said it all. You smiled softly, but knew that announcing it right now could be chaotic, especially if the stick was wrong. Since Richard hadn't come back in five minutes, you figured it was safe to toss the box away in the garbage. The stick, however, was immediately wrapped up in toilet paper, dropped into a zip lock bag, and shoved into your bag. It was going with you to the doctor, just in case.

Your gut feeling started around day three, as you checked WebMD for your illness. While you searched for symptoms and answered questions, one question had a word that triggered your gut feeling: "pregnancy". While it could have easily been your anxiety jumping to conclusions, a part of you knew that it had to be true. You immediately called your doctor, who gave you a number to schedule an appointment with an OB/GYN. By a stroke of luck, there was a cancellation and they allowed you to take the empty spot, instead of waiting for a week. That appointment was today.

You drove to the doctor, and signed in. When the nurse called you back, she told you to give them a urine sample in the bathroom, then wait in an exam room for the results. Giving the sample was just as awkward for you as urinating on the pregnancy test. You filled the cup to the line they had marked, put the top on it, then opened the tiny two-way cabinet with a sign that said, "Place all urine samples in here. Be sure to write your name, today's date, and your doctors name on the cup." You wrote the information they asked for with the marker they had provided on the inside of the door, then left both in the cabinet.

You went to the examination room they had mentioned to you and waited. You felt as if you had been waiting for an hour before the doctor knocked on the door. "Come in," you called softly, and the door opened, revealing a grinning Hispanic woman with a thick mess of black curly hair pulled into a high ponytail, green colored contact lenses, and circular glasses, carrying a small laptop. You were immediately reminded of Harry Potter, even if her glasses were a bit smaller than his. "Hello, dear! My name is Dr. Amelia Valinz. It's nice to meet you! How are you feeling?" You shook her hand and smiled. "Nervous. Am I pregnant? Am I going to have a baby?" She smiled up at you warmly, before double-checking the screen on her laptop, tapping a few things here and there. "That is correct! You're about seven weeks along, according to the test! Do you have any questions?" She looked up at you and smiled warmly as she pushed her glasses further up the bridge of her nose. You chuckled and nodded. "Boy, do I ever!"

For the next 20 minutes, Dr. Valinz answered all your questions and concerns calmly, giving you helpful advice as she went. "Well, dear, that's all advice I have right now. I must be getting to my other patients. Do you have any other questions?" Suddenly nervous, you asked if you could see "it". "It," Dr. Valinz asked, almost laughing. "You mean your baby?" You nod and shrug nervously. "Yes, of course. Follow me."

She took you to another room, this one dimly lit, with a couple of computers, monitors, and a single examination table. "The technician will be here in a minute. For now, take off your shirt, scoot down your pants to just below hips, and put on this paper gown. Again, congratulations, and don't forget to schedule your next appointment." "Thank you, Dr. Valinz. See you later." You both waved to each other as she shut the door, giving you privacy as you readied yourself for the technician.

The technician, a sweet and aging British woman, knocked and came in, a few minutes later, and asked you to lay back and open the front of the gown. You did as you were told. She spread a warm gel on your stomach and spread it around with a small wand to it. She pushed a little harder on your flat belly, and showed you the image on the monitor. "Ah! There you are," she said, her voice heavily accented, but still sweet and kind. "It looks like it is coming along nicely! Oooh, 7 weeks! A wonderful time! I'm so excited for you! ... Hmm. This child seems to move around, quite a bit... Nothing to worry about, though, dear! I'll take some nice pictures and a video, then put them on a disc for you! Oh congratulations, dear!"

You giggled and smiled, thanking her and gently placing the disc in your purse. You cleaned yourself up, put your clothes back on properly, paid, then made your next appointment.

'And now,' you thought, 'the next challenge is to tell Richard. I can't wait to see his face!'

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Author's Note:
How is Richard going to react? Will he be thrilled or horrified? Find out in Part 3!

I hope you enjoyed this rather short chapter! As always, constructive criticism is always welcome! I hope you have a great day, and remember to be awesome to each other!