Panic Attack

"Demi... calm down... you're having a panic attack." Nick's voice sounded alarmed, as he ran his hand over my hair, his attempt at soothing me. I put my hands on my forehead, so I could breathe & forget where I was as Nick put his arm around me. "Take short breaths. Look at me, Demi." He said, his voice stern, so I looked at him. "Breathe." He was looking into my eyes. After a few minutes of me breathing, I started to feel myself calming down. "Are you okay, now?" Nick asked, in a quiet voice & I nodded. "Good. Now... to address your concerns. I am not, technically, going to be going into combat. I told you that before, but I am going to reenlist instead of doing training on a voluntary basis. They've been observing me & my colonel is going to have an assessment filled out by my doctor because they need me cleared before I can do all that they want e to do." Nick paused & looked down.

"What do they want you to do? Why do you have to reenlist? You could have to be in the middle of combat if we go to war if you reenlist."

"No. I'm pretty high up in the ranks so I wouldn't be in combat. Most likely, anyway. What they want me to do is more than I could do on a voluntary basis. So, in addition to being able to do all that I can for the Corps, I decided to reenlist because it means more money & it means a better retirement. Being active gives me more access & more ability to do what needs to be done. I can be in control of my training. I told you before that they want me to train troops that are going to be going into combat, if necessary. It's a huge responsibility. It's an amazing opportunity, but I won't be going into war. I'll be making sure that our guys can win, if they have to go into war. Plus I can also train mechanics. If I'm active, then I can do all these jobs & these jobs are important, if we ever do find ourselves at war again."

I kept breathing, nodding my head, then I smiled, somehow. "You promise you're not going to be fighting? You're not going to be on the front lines like you were before?"

"I promise. Unless a real war breaks out, I won't be doing any actual combat stuff. Now, can we go back to sleep?"

"Yea. Sorry." I said as he leaned to kiss me, then we both laid down & he slid his arm around my middle. Nick was asleep within seconds, but I laid there for awhile, not able to turn my brain off. I still had a bad feeling & I didn't even know why. At some point, I fell asleep. 

The next morning, I woke up, suddenly, since I had to go to the bathroom. Damn baby was gonna make me piss myself. I didn't even notice the bed was empty until I came out of the bathroom. Nick wasn't in the bedroom, anywhere, so I headed downstairs, to find him. I found Nick, sitting on the steps, staring out the sliding glass doors, looking like he had a lot on his mind.

 I found Nick, sitting on the steps, staring out the sliding glass doors, looking like he had a lot on his mind

I tiptoed toward him & wasn't quiet enough, because he jumped, as I got closer, then turned to look up at me. "Good morning, Beautiful. You hungry?" He reached his hand out as he stood up & slipped it around my waist when I got close enough. I sighed when he kissed the side of my head.