Savior

As Nick & I stared at each other, I felt myself get angry, at the way he reacted when I said I could be pregnant. "Yes, I did get the shot after Evan was born, but then my husband died so I wasn't thinking about birth control, after that. I didn't think it was necessary since I was a widower & had no plans to have sex for quite some time." I snarled at him, tears filling my eyes, then I turned to walk toward a less crowded part of the hall.

"Demi!" Nick called out after me, running to grab my arm & turn me around. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound upset. I was surprised. I would love it if you were pregnant. Didn't you get the letter I sent to you before the bombing?"

"Yes." I answered, blotting the tears from my eyes. 

"Then you know that I said I wanted to try for another baby when I got back." Nick bent his knees to look into my eyes as he held onto my upper arms. "Demi, I want another baby. I want lots more babies with you."

I sniffed, my lips turning down. "You do?"

"Yes. Now, let's go see if my mom will keep Evan & we'll stop at the drugstore, on the way home, to get a test." Nick smiled, taking my hand & pulling me with him, as he walked, almost running to where he last saw his mom. 

When we got to Tracy, I could tell Nick was struggling with not telling her about what we were doing, but she agreed to take Evan home, for the night. Nick helped her get Evan into the car, we both kissed him goodnight, then after she drove off, Nick pulled me to our car. I laughed at the giddy smile that was on his face. While he drove to the nearest drug store, he held my hand, still smiling. When we got home, he nearly ran into the house & up to our bedroom, where he started taking off his dressy clothes. 

"Hurry & go pee on it

"Hurry & go pee on it." Nick said, when I sat on the bed to take off my shoes.

"Can I get my shoes off first? Maybe get into my pajamas?" I asked, laughing.

I heard Nick sigh, sounding impatient. "I guess. I'm sorry. I'm just anxious."

"You're so cute." I smirked at him as I finished taking off my shoes. I grabbed the test & my pajamas then headed into the bathroom. I emerged minutes later, wearing my pajamas & holding the pregnancy test in my hand. I put the test on the top of my dresser & sat on the bed. "Now, we have to wait a few minutes."

Nick walked over to the dresser & stared at the test. "I'm gonna watch it."

"