Chapter 21

creds for the fanart go to nessie!

"Sir!"

The guard reappears in the doorway, door swinging closed behind him as he salutes. "I'm sorry, sir. Mr. Gavin maintains that he doesn't want to see anyone."

Apollo sighs, closing his eyes. He pushes his index finger against his forehead harder, scrunching up his face.

This is downright impossible.

Apollo's been in the detention center for an agonizing ten minutes now, stuck in this ridiculous squabble with Klavier. Klavier isn't seeing anyone, according to the tired looking guard, and he's not backing down no matter what Apollo pleads. Klavier's been in this period of self-enforced isolation for days, apparently, despite many different people requesting a meeting.

Apollo's actually starting to feel kind of sorry for the guard, who's been relaying the messages between the two back and forth since Apollo arrived.

"Inform him that this visit isn't optional!" Apollo snaps. He makes a huffing noise, continuing under his breath as he looks at the empty chair across from him. "He's such an idiot."

"Sir."

Apollo looks up again. The guard shifts uncomfortably, almost like he regrets speaking now that Apollo's glare is focused back on him.

It looks like the guard is grappling with something as he rubs the back of his neck; not meeting Apollo's eyes until he finally speaks. "If... if I may... Maybe it'd help if you let me tell him who you are."

The finger is off Apollo's forehead in a flash, and Apollo's leaning forwards in his chair. "No!"

"No, no," Apollo repeats, shaking his head. "That'd... he'd never agree to the meeting if he knew it was me. Just tell him that it's urgent, and unconditional."

It's silent then.

Apollo takes the awkward quiet to shift back to his regular position, settling his back against the chair and closing his eyes. "...please."

The guard shrugs, disappearing through the door yet again. There's a soft click as it shuts behind him.

Apollo collapses the second the guard is out of sight, leaning back against the chair like he's boneless.

This is terribly hard.

Yeah, Apollo was frustrated about Klavier's detainment for days now, trapped in the hospital and unable to affect change, but it's wholly different now that he's faced with the reality of the situation. Never, in any of his imaginings, did Klavier completely refuse to see Apollo, nor did he shut himself up and refuse to listen to anyone.

Apollo groans. If only the real Klavier was as reasonable as the Klavier in Apollo's head. They'd probably be home by now, back to normal and happy as could be.

The door creaks again, light from the hallway spilling into the room. Apollo cracks open an eye. "And?"

Judging by the exhausted look on the guard's face, nothing.

"Nada," the guard confirms with a sigh. He really looks tired of this. "Sir, do you want to try again tomorrow?"

"No." Apollo sits up again, clenching his teeth. "Tell him that I'm not leaving until I see him, and that's final. I can be pretty stubborn, too."

The guard turns to leave again, and Apollo just barely catches him rolling his eyes and muttering something that sounds suspiciously like the world asinine.

Apollo snickers. It's true, after all. If their court cases are any evidence, him and Klavier will never reach anything but a stalemate when it comes to conflicting passion.