Chapter 22

oh mein gott we made it

It's weird.

When Apollo closes his eyes, it's almost like none of it ever happened.

It's weird, how easy it is to lie against Klavier's chest and doze off. How easy it is to forget what it was like when Klavier was gone. It's almost natural, the way Apollo forgets feeling like he's lost a limb, how he forgets the ache of needing Klavier back.

It's weird, how easy it is to walk into the living room. How hard it is to recall the bloodstains on the ground and the ear-splitting gunshots ripping through the air, like Apollo really did imagine them. (He knows he didn't. At least, he thinks he does.)

It's weird, how easy it is for Apollo to slip on his bracelet again and feel the familiar weight on his wrist, like he never took it off. Like he wasn't vulnerable for days, like he's always known when people are lying to him.

It's weird, remembering that Apollo and Klavier very nearly missed death.

It's just plain weird to think about, especially on a day like this. It's sleepy and warm all around, quiet and undisturbed. There's something irrevocably peaceful about the languid rays of sun stretching through the room, about how they color Klavier darker in orange light. Everything around Apollo feels slow and relaxed, like the air has been turned to syrup. Like he's never been in any danger at all, like that night was just a crazy dream.

There hasn't been much to do lately, especially since Apollo and Klavier are both under strict orders to not even think about working. It's not as frustrating as Apollo would usually think- there's something calming about domestic life with Klavier, something that brightens every day with soft happiness. Apollo and Klavier have been on walks around People Park, hand in hand in the brisk morning air, they've been out to eat often at nice restaurants, and they've visited the Wrights a couple of times- you know, mushy couple stuff like that.

It's relaxing.

Apollo may be the hardworking sort, but damn it, he could get used to being pampered like this. Today he woke up at noon, for fuck's sake. It's amazing.

That's not to say that he's done anything since he woke up. No, Apollo hasn't done much more than stumble over to the couch, crawling onto Klavier and lying down on top of him.

"Guten morgen," Klavier says in a sleep-hoarse voice, brushing Apollo's hair back to kiss the top of Apollo's head.

"Mmm." Apollo rests his head on Klavier's chest, sighing. He loves being this close to Klavier, feeling the warmth of Klavier's tanned skin against his. It's so simple, yet so nice.

Klavier exhales, smiling. He's still being kind of quiet, normally he'd be teasing and laughing, but this is good enough. Smiling is good enough.

Apollo can't ask for much more this soon.

"Sleep well?" he asks. Apollo nods, crossing his arms and resting his chin on them. He's lying on his stomach, breathing in sync with Klavier. He needed to lift his head so he could gaze at Klavier, drink in that gorgeous face.

It only takes a second for Apollo to frown. Something about Klavier feels different all of a sudden, and after... that, Apollo's not about to let something like this go. Apollo takes the opportunity to study Klavier's face, scanning clear blue eyes and cheekbones and glossy lips and- ah. A bare chin.

That's new.

"I'm glad you've finally remembered to shave," Apollo mumbles, pressing his lips against Klavier's jawline. Ah, that feels nice. Smooth. Warm. That's quite the step in the right direction.