Let's know all about Korea

Korea - Land of the Morning Calm

Respect is one of the trademarks of Korea.It is one of the customs that they had inherited since the Confucianism (1392-1910).The first question Korean ask to a new acquaintance is his/her age,for them to determine how they shoulf refer to the person.Like Japanese,they use different terms for elders to show deference and respect.

If you are visiting Korea for the first time,you should read these so you would not be surprised with the customs you will encounter and for you not be referred as "A man without manners or etiquette."

☆ General Rule ☆

● Koreans refer family as the most important part of their tradition dictates,member of the family have their own responsibility to follow.

Father - as the head of the family is responsible to provide his family's need;also he is the one to approve marriages and important decisions and moves of the family.

Mother - as the pillar of the family is responsible in taking care of her kids and to provide the love and care they need.She is also expected to be the first teacher to her children.

The Eldest Son - being the next male in the family had special respinsibilities.These responsibilitiea include first,his parents next his younger siblings,then his son,his wife and lastly to hus daughters.

● Koreans give the surname (family name) first.They are specific in addressing a person by their profession or title so as to give high and proper respect.

☆ When visiting a Korean Home ☆

● You have to remember yo remove your shoes when entering inside a house.They sleep,sit and eat on the floor and so it has to be maintained clean.Entering with your bare feet is a sign of non-respect so you have to always wear socks but be sure that they are clean and free from holes so as to avoid humiliation.

● You will give a good impression if you have a small gift or a small token to give to the owner of the house.When giving or receiving a gift from an elder person,it is expected that you receive it using two hands.If it is small enough for one hand,you can use just one hand to receive it and the other under your forearm or lower chest (for support).If the person receiving the gift is younger or lower rank,it's okay to give it with one hand.

☆Drinking and Dining☆

● Koreans traditionally eat in a lower table and sit on a cushion or on the floor.Variety of food is served.Each person has its own bowl of rice(they use bowl for their rice unlike us that uses plate).They traditionally use chopsticks for sides dishes and they use a big-bowled spoon foe rice and soup.

● The Eldest at the table eats first.The moment he picks up his chopstick and start to eat,that's the signal that the rest can eat too.No one eats first before the eldest does.

● Like other customs,rest your chopsticks and spoon on top of a dish during a meal.After you have eaten,rest the chopsticks and spoon on the table to show thatyou are done eating.

● While eating with Koreans,avoid blowing your nose or coughing.However,if you really have to cough,turn away.

● Avoid lifting your bowl or plate while eating.

● Korean use to pour drink for each other.When your drinking witg an older person,turn your head away to take a drink to show respect.

● Tipping is not done in Korea because they think that it is already included in their bill.

☆Everyday lives☆

● Korean's way if greeting is shaling hands and bowing at the same time.The depth of the bow depends on the relative seniority of the two people.

● Direct eye contact is no-no during coversation with older Koreans,because they say it show boldness and non-respect.

● Never write a persons name in red ink because they will think that the person is already dead or will die soon.

● Koreans will not call you a friend unless you are on the same age or you were born on the same year.If you are older or younger even just one year,you are considered an older/younger brother/sister.

● When you attend a wedding or funeral,you should not forget to bring a white envelope containing sum of money.

● Arranged Marriage is still common in Korea.

☆Holiday and Special Events☆

● Because 60 years is considered a cycle in the Asian Zodiac ,a large birthday celebration is held for those who turn 60 years of age.In the past,living to the age of 60 also exceeded the average life expectancy in Korea.It is also an age when a man can retire and let his sons support him.

● 100th day - Couples or boyfriends and girlfriends celebratw their first 100 day together,unlike in other customs that they have monthsary or anniversary.

☆Taboos☆

● Many Koreans like Chinese,still avoid the number 4 since it has the same pronunciation as the word 'death'.Thus you will often find that Korean buildings will not have a forth floor,or that the letter "f" replaces the number four.