Volume 2 - Chapter 13: Adorable Overload

Volume2 Debut - Chapter 13: Adorable Overload

It's been difficult since your last mission. It's been a week, but you still remember it. You remember every face being slaughtered by Grimm. Every deprived breath you took when running for your life in the maze. Every dreadful moment of pain as you pushed yourself to the limit to stop the White Fang. At the time, you didn't realize how much your friends cared. It wasn't just one, but every single one of them has been there for you during your recovery – both mentally and physically.

Unfortunately it's currently raining, but that doesn't stop you from standing out in the rain. Your hair falls completely flat, messing with your vision somewhat along with getting your clothes, save your olive jacket you left inside, wet. You stare out at Vale, looking at the flashing lights that go off every once in a while due to traffic lights or some sort of event going on in Vale. You have good eye sight, but you can't see all that detail from so far away. Still the calming droplets that flutter onto your bare arms and face – it's a nice sensation when the rain drop slithers down your skin to the cold floor.

You slip your hands through your hair, flicking some of the water off behind you. You huff, releasing all the tension in your body, then streak your hand down your face.

"Can't sleep?" A young voice speaks.

You turn around to see Ruby in a black tank top with a heart shape design that somewhat resembles a Beowulf, and white pants that are dotted with pink roses. She's holding a red umbrella over her head, protecting herself from the barrage of rain.

You size her up, snicker, then return to watching Vale.

"Nope, just didn't want to," you respond with a somewhat serious tone.

Ruby frowns at your tone, then slowly walks beside you, lifting her arm up so you can both be under the umbrella. You lose feeling of the rain falling on you, and look up to see the inside of an umbrella. You look to your side and see Ruby extending her arm as far as she can to make it comfortable for you both. You chuckle and wrap your hand around Ruby's.

"I'll hold it, if you want."

Ruby's face goes red at the touch of your hands. She can feel the callouses of your battles, which adds a rough texture. Yet somehow they're very soft and delicate as it holds her hand. The slipperiness of the water adds a certain feeling to the whole experience. She's never held another boy's hand before, yet she's really enjoying it now. The warmth from your hand spreading to her slightly cold one. She almost wants to leave the hand like this, so, taking a bold move, she does. You of course notice Ruby isn't slipping her hand out from under yours.

"Is your hand cold?"

Ruby nods.

"A-A little bit. But it's you I was worried about getting a cold. You can't just stand out in the rain, you know?" She lectures.

You chuckle.

"Yeah, I know. I just had to get fresh air, and I don't mind the rain all that much. It cools me off."

Ruby squirms in place, trying to think of something to say.

"So what were you dreaming?" She finally speaks.

You look down at her with a downcast face.

"The village, again. Well, not just that village but... I don't know..."

Ruby shuffles closer to you in order to keep under the umbrella, and to just be a little closer to you. You notice, but don't mention it. You assume it's to keep dry.