[15] Strictly Religious

Roman's POV

~~~

I stared straight ahead through hooded eyes with heaving breaths as Seth stumbled away down the street. The sound of blood pounding in my ears blocked out any words which Dean was currently screaming at me.

He threw his arms about in dismay as he glared at me, eyes forming with tears of pure anger and confusion. I took a few ragged breaths and tried to focus on him. His voice slowly grew in volume as I calmed myself.

"Roman! Roman, are you even fucking listening to me?! What the hell is wrong with you?!" Dean's mouth curled down into a scowl, his cold eyes piercing mine. It was hard to believe this was the same, passionate man I'd been kissing only half an hour ago.

"What?" Was all I could manage. I glanced back down the empty street, half-expecting Seth to have returned to my side with his sweet, childish smile plastered on his face. "I... I didn't mean to..."

"Well you fucking did it, Roman! Did you see the look on his face?! He was fucking terrified of you!" Dean continued to curse and snarl at me, as if personally hurt by my actions.

I ran a hand through my hair and tried to compose myself.

What the fuck just happened?

"Seth." I looked around and started panicking. Dean stopped and stared at me with narrow eyes.

"Yes. Seth. The innocent little puppy you just held two feet off the ground and scared shitless. Remember him?" Dean folded his arms and continued to watch me closely.

"Just... Just SHUT UP for a second okay?" I shot him a quick glare and covered my face with both of my hands. "Shit. What have I done?" A growl of frustration escaped my lips before I set off running in the direction Seth had only minutes ago.

"Are you alright?" I extended my arm to the small boy who lay slumped against the wall of the school corridor. He flinched at my words and raised an arm in defence to cover his face. When he realised I was offering to help him, he slowly lowered his hand.

Two soft, brown eyes stared up at me. He looked completely helpless and shocked that someone had started a conversation without the intent of verbally or physically abusing him.

I pulled him to his feet and picked up several scattered books, placing them back into his backpack.

He stayed quiet and didn't look up at me. I recognised him as Seth Rollins. You know in movies how there'd always be a kid with big glasses who'd keep to himself and carry around a stack of huge textbooks? That's Seth.

"Who did this to you?" I spoke softly to try not to startle him. He shifted his gaze from his shoes to my eyes and swallowed audibly, shrugging.

"Finn. I'm used to it... I-I should go now. Thank you." His voice was barely above a whisper as he tried to side-step me and leave. I lowered my head to look into his eyes.

"Seth." He looked surprised that I knew his name, "I don't suppose you wanna go grab a drink somewhere? I'm buying." I flashed a small smile to which he returned.

"Really?" He looked unsure whether to accept but soon relaxed and stood still beside me. I swung his bag over my shoulder and started walking down the corridor with him.
"Of course. What do you like? Coffee?"

He looked down at his shoes as we walked. Several people stared at the unfamiliar sight of Seth walking alongside another student.
"I... I like milkshakes."

I chuckled softly at his words and held the door open for him.
"Milkshakes it is then."

I searched for Seth for over an hour. He wasn't at the park or at his favourite milkshake parlour. Running a hand through my hair, I approached his house and knocked almost too hard on the door.

I leaned against the wall beside the door, emotionally exhausted. After a couple of minutes, the door opened slightly and Seth's father peered out. His eyes found mine and he sneered.
I'd never been popular with his parents.

But to be fair, his parents had never been popular with me either. They were both strictly religious, and strictly homophobic. Seth had never told them about me of course, but they disliked me nonetheless.
"Can I help you, Mr Reigns?"

He kept the door only slightly open, to my curiosity. I eyed him carefully before replying.
"Have you seen Seth? Did he come home earlier?"

His expression hardened at my words.
"He did, actually. He was pretty upset, Roman. He confessed to his mother and I about his disease." The man spat his words at me, stepping out from behind the door.

"It's disgusting. He should be ashamed of himself. And you," He pointed a finger at me, and that's when I saw it. His knuckles were bruised and painted red, "Better stay away from him from now on. I always knew there was something wrong about you. And now you've passed on your faggot illness on to my son."

I felt lightheaded. I couldn't drag my eyes away from his blood-splattered hands. He noticed and started to retreat back into his house.
"Stay away. I don't want to see you around here ever again." The door started to close.

In a rush, I crashed forwards, pushing with all of my strength against the door. Seth's father pushed back equally as hard, the door neither opening nor shutting due to the equal forces from both sides.

"WHAT DID YOU DO TO HIM?!" I screamed as my sight blurred with tears. A voice yelled back from inside.

"Get the fuck away from me and my family!" He heaved against the door attempting to push me out. I groaned in effort, crying out in defeat as the door started to close against me.

"SETH!" I bellowed as the door slammed shut. I relentlessly pounded my fists against it before slumping down on the ground. "FUCK!" I cried angrily and rubbed tears from my eyes in spite.

This was all my fault.