Chapter Eleven

“Mathew.”

“Hey, can we talk?”

She nods.

“I wanted to know something.”

“Okay.”

“Do you think that I’m changing?  I mean more than I was.”

Dharma stares at me.

“You are ready to be a wolf now, you have grown into a man and you could handle it.”

“But?”

“Are you ready?”

“I don’t know.  I mean, sometimes I just want to get it over with so that I can see what it’s like but then.  With what I felt the other day, it was scary.  I knew I was going to start to feel it but that felt like I was dying.”

“You are part human, and I guess it will be difficult sometimes for you to deal with things.  You won’t have to change into the animal and stay that way for a long period of time like Thera and your father did.  But I know that when you are ready to accept it, it will come to you.”

“What about my powers?  I mean, I really don’t feel any different.”

“It will be soon now Mathew.  But you don’t have to afraid.  Marcus taught you well and when it comes, you won’t be so overwhelmed by it.”

“Okay, thank you.”

I turn to walk away.

“Mathew.”

I turn to look at her.

“Sandro can be a bad influence.  Don’t let him change you.”

“I won’t.”

“You have to be strong.”

“I will.  Why are you telling me this?”

“I’m old.  I know things.”

“What things?”

“You don’t have to worry about that.  Just do as I say and you will be fine.”

“Did you really kill Alex?”

“No.  Johnathon did.”

“Did you tell him to?”

“It was important that he did it.”

“Why?”

“You can’t let people walk over you.  Especially not idiots like Alex and his kind.  Sometimes you have to teach them their place.”

“I get the feeling that you can be way scarier than you already are.”

She smiles.

“I’m only mean when I have to be Mathew.  And sometimes love makes you stupid.  No matter what age or how long you’ve lived.  Love really is something you can’t control or talk yourself out of.”

“Have you ever thought about not loving Johnathon anymore?  I mean, if you knew what it would cost you and all the things you’d have to do to be with him, would you still do it?”

“I loved Johnathon the moment I saw him.”  She says touching my hair.  “And I know I would wait forever or go to hell to be with him.  I love him Mathew and I don’t ever want to be without him.”

“Was it hard when he died?”

“Yes it was hard.  Especially this last time because I knew it had been stupid of him to go that way.”