Chapter 1

It was less than a month before graduation.

At the moment, Alyssa, Brooke, Eli, Chase, Derek and I were sitting in our favorite corner of the library, next to the big windows. We gazed longingly out the window at the sunny Southern California day and wished to go outside and just hang out. But alas, we had finals.

"This is torture," Brooke huffed, sinking in her seat on the couch.

"It should be illegal for college seniors to take finals," Chase said.

"Right? I have no motivation whatsoever to do well on these exams," Derek said.

"Well, I do. Med school still looks at second semester grades to see if you slack off," Eli said.

"Well, that's your's and Sophie's and Derek's problem. That's what you get for wanting to become doctors," Brooke said. I threw my pen at her and she dodged it, making it skid about 10 feet away. She stuck her tongue out at me.

"Go get it!" I hissed.

"You're the one that threw it!" she exclaimed.

"You're closer!" I replied. She rolled her eyes. I let out a sigh of frustration and put my anatomy book down to retrieve my pen. As I passed her, I yanked on her ear and she let out a yelp of pain.

"Jerk," she hissed.

"Right back at you," I replied, sitting back down.

"Guys, act your age. We're a few months from going to grad school," Alyssa said.

"Oh hush, you Psych major," Brooke said, flicking Alyssa on the side of her head. Alyssa swatted her hand away and Brooke laughed. A girl at the table next to our's shushed us. Brooke made a face at her when she turned around and we chuckled slightly.

We all fell into silence and went back to our books for a moment to study. Then Brooke spoke up again.

"Can we get something to eat? I can't concentrate. My stomach wants food," she complained.

"I don't think it's your stomach that's not letting you concentrate," Derek said, shaking his head at her.

"Yes it is! Besides, it's lunch time. We need to take a break," Brooke said. We all sighed.

"She's right. We should eat and then we can get back to studying," Chase said, stretching his arms and back. As he did this, his shirt went up to reveal his sculpted abs. Brooke threw a pillow at him.

"Stop showing off, moron," she said.

"You know you like the view," Chase said, winking at her. She rolled her eyes and threw her books into her bag. We all followed suit and packed up our things, too. Then we got up and exited the library.

I smiled as the California sun kissed my face.

"The weather is just too cruel," Alyssa whimpered, shielding her eyes from the sudden brightness of the sun.

"It's so gorgeous out," I agreed.

"Man, I want to hit up the beach," Derek said, shifting his backpack on one shoulder.

"That sounds so good right now," Eli said.

"We should study at the beach," Chase suggested. We all laughed. Like hell that would happen.

"Well, let's look at it this way. In less than three weeks, we'll have graduated and be on our way to Spain," Brooke said. We all started speaking at once in excitement.

"Oh my God, I cannot wait for this trip," Alyssa said.

"It's going to be epic," Derek agreed.

"It'll be a summer worth remembering, that's for sure," Eli said.