seven

"Open your eyes and just think about what you want the plants to do."

Florence and Hank stood outside the greenhouse. It was slightly secluded from the academy, but still close.
Florence took a deep breath, and opened her eyes.

Small branches sprouted from the ground, thickening into tree trunks, separating into individual branches, leaves growing from them. Several trees grew from the ground at once, and once they reached a reasonable height, flowered sprouted at their feet.

Roses.

This went on for a while, Florence genuinely enjoying her ability, and Hank relishing in it. When the growth stopped, they were surrounded by trees and red roses at their feet.

"Florence, you've made incredible progress! Extremely quick growth," he said, laughing to himself, "no pun intended."

Florence looked at him painfully. "If you ever say anything like that again, I will hurt you."

Hank simply smiled at her.

"I have to say, though," she continued, "it's amazing. I feel so in control and I'm- I'm not angry. I feel so much energy within myself that I can't describe."

"I'll make sure to tell Charles how much you've improved- and I'll bring him to this garden as well."

"There's no need, Hank."

The two turned around and saw Charles himself. He looked around the area in awe.

"Do you remember your first day here, Florence?"

"You were in my head and I yelled at you?"

Charles laughed. "You got mad and you grew out the entire courtyard."

She nodded, and he approached a rose. He picked it from the ground, turning it over in his hand.

"Look at how far you've come. You've been here, what, a month? And you did all of this under your control. You've grown a lot, Florence. No pun intended."

Hank laughed and Florence groaned. She thought about how much had changed, though, not only in terms of her mutation. She had met many people in her stay so far, but she only found herself caring for 6. The ones she had been introduced to on her first day. She had grown close to them, each of them bringing something different to their friendship.

Jean turned out to have a great sense of humor, and gave great advice. She somehow always knew more about Florence than she did herself, but it helped her.

Jubilee was someone Florence would find herself confiding in heavily, even though she never opened up to anyone. She also had great fashion and relationship advice. Florence considered herself closest to Jubilee.

Ororo helped her find a fiercer side to herself. They shared similar categories in mutations, both being able to manipulate some form of nature, and Ororo had taught her how badass that was.

Peter had introduced her to incredible music. He had gifted her a Walkman and several cassettes, and she cherished them all. She had also shared the most laughs with him. Being the oldest out of all of them, he had formed himself as the 'dad' of the group. He always asked Florence what "was cookin" and how she was, and she found a more mature side of him that he didn't reveal too often.

Kurt was the kindest person she had ever met. He helped her remember how beautiful life was, and she learned how to cherish even the smallest things in it. He also shared her love for books. They had begun a cycle of sharing books; discussing them, sometimes even crying over them, and it was the nicest friendship she had ever had with anyone.