Chapter 22: Monologues

I'll give you a warning that this is a pretty crappy chapter but i had difficulties writing it and haven't really edited it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grim didn't have time to leap out of the way because she was simply too surprised. She couldn't actually say which one shocked her more. That Mary was in another body, or that she was something called a soulshifter.

Soulshifter?

Alright, let's focus on the fact that Mary was a soulshifter. What the hell kind of creature was that? Just as Grim thought it the information was downloaded into her mind. She couldn't exactly focus on it as she was currently on fire. But she also couldn't stop the flashes of information that darted through her mind as she twirled in circles in an attempt to miss the streams of flame.

Around since the beginning of time. Able to shift from body to body. Nearly completely eradicated. No way to protect from them. Easy to kill once separated from their body even for a second. Reapers greatest enemies.

Alright, now she knew the basics of what Mary was. It's time to deal with the fact that she was actually in another body. She couldn't deny that this woman breathing fire was Mary, it was the eyes. Her green eyes that were the colour of nuclear waste, acid and poison all rolled into two balls.

It wasn't even just the colour, but the look. Her eyes were dead. Even when Grim had been younger, before she'd been tortured throughout high school, she'd never liked Mary. She would see her at pack meetings and cling to her mother's legs. Mary had always had eyes that were dark and scary, no emotion ever passed through them. They were like green emeralds, beautiful but cold and lifeless.

Grim dived to the floor, rolling to her feet and ducking behind a tree. The sound of Mary breathing fire, which sounded oddly like a massive hairdryer, stopped suddenly.

"Come on Anya; let's not play these games, you were never any good at them."

"Fuck you Mary," Grim called out.

"What a fantastic comeback, you've wounded my sensitive soul."

Grim rolled her eyes, listening intently for any snap of a twig or rustle of a leaf. Mary was moving silently, and Grim had no doubt she was heading towards her. She couldn't stand here waiting, but she couldn't just teleport either, she might end up right in front of the evil bitch.

Grim licked her dry lips, coming up with a, very crude, plan.

"Hey Mary," Grim called out, "Your reaper friend told me that you were involved in all of this."

"Vex, really? What did you do to him, by the way?"

"The same thing I'm going to do to you."

Mary tutted, "It'd be scarier if I knew what you'd done." There was a crack too close to Grim's right and she darted for the next tree. Mary laughed, "And are you telling me that Blake didn't tell you?"

That made Grim stiffen.

"So he didn't tell you? Blake didn't tell you that I was back in town, didn't tell you that he and I were going to get married? He didn't tell you about our plans?"

Grim was frozen where she stood. She couldn't move and it was long enough for Mary to appear beside her, a clawed hand snapping out. Grim let out a lurching gasp as Mary easily lifted her off the ground..

Mary smiled, and for the briefest moment she looked exactly the same as she had all those years ago. It was just one moment and it made Grim shudder in fear. It was unbelievable that even after she'd died and come back, she was still afraid of this girl.