Chapter 25: Uh oh

"Hurry up," Mary called out to her soulshifters. "No dawdling. Every last one of you should be in a wolf body within the next ten minutes."

"But we haven't seen their human form," a weasel faced man whined out as he stopped at the bottom of the steps. The rest of the crowd stopped and they all nodded, a murmur of dissatisfaction rolling through the crowd.

Mary's eye twitched and she felt the orange flames of her hair flicker into a deeper and hotter blue. "So," she hissed out.

"Well, what if they're ugly," the same man complained. "I mean, I'm a girl and I've been stuck in this horrid body for three years. I want someone pretty and well . . . a girl. Shouldn't we be able to see them in human form, to make sure they're what we want? You can't tell anything about them while they're like this!"

Mary gave him/her a small smile. "Of course, come here. If you give me all your requests I'll direct you to your new body, I know all the people."

The weasel man grinned and walked up from the stairs. Mary placed an arm on his shoulder and smiled at him again before breaking his arm. He or she screamed out, collapsing to their knees. Mary bent down and with her long black claws reached out and gripped his face.

"You little ungrateful weasel! I do all of this for you. I get you powerful bodies and you dare to complain. Do you know how long this plan took? Do you realise that I didn't have to do this? Do you realise that's its only out of loyalty for my species and a certain degree of kindness I help all you miserable fools? You dare to reject the bodies I spend so much time finding and planning to give to give to you. Yet, you want to know if they're pretty. That makes me extraordinarily angry!" she roared out. She dug her claws into his eyes, hearing his screams echo around. She let him collapse on the ground with bloody little holes left. Mary stood back up and looked up at her followers.

"She can remain in that body until it's riddled with age and disease," Mary shouted. "Now, if nobody else has any requests?" they all shook their heads. "Then. Get. To. It!"

They hurriedly spread out. They didn't get within a few feet of the wolves before a roar echoed down the road.

It seemed to shake the very ground. Birds flew from trees, leaves fell to the ground her soulshifters and the humans screamed in terror. Mary let out a hiss as she turned to see Blake standing at the end of the street.

He looked out of focus as his body kept shuddering, fighting to completely change into a wolf. It actually surprised her. Mary planned out everything so very carefully. She hated whenever something went wrong, when something was . . . unplanned. Mostly because she had no one to blame but herself. She should have thought about that, or why didn't she remember this, and most often why didn't I realise that person would do that. She was always furious when she made a mistake, which wasn't very often. To be fair, there was no possible way she could have planned for Anya Royce. So all the plans that girl had messed up and ruined Mary couldn't blame herself for. Anya Royce was a surprise appearance, unexpected and unpredictable. This, Blake walking around and not practically comatose, was not part of the plan. She had thought about this, thought she'd been so clever mixing the solution with the sedative. Damn, the sedative must have diluted the wolfsbane! That, she blamed on herself.

Mary let out a snarl.

"You're supposed to be lying somewhere in agony. You shouldn't even be able to turn!" Mary roared, descending from the steps and shoving through her soulshifters. She wished they would take this opportunity to try shifting bodies, but the idiots were too riveted with what was in front of them.

Blake out another roar, this one quieter but no less powerful. Mary's head whipped behind her as she saw the shudder ran amongst her wolves.

"Stay!" She said her voice deep and hissing with power. They all stilled once again She turned back to Blake, a triumphant smirk on her face.