Possibilities

"Show off!" Lily shrieks, balancing carefully on her broom. She has a smile on her face and acts seemingly nonchalant, but I see the slight fear in her eyes and the way her knuckles have turned white from griping the broom so tight. 

     "Show off?" I demand. I turn my broom in a wide arc to face her, feeling a wicked smirk play on my lips. I lean forward, letting my broom go as fast as it can. Her eyes widen in shock and fear. She dives for the ground. Did she think I was going to hit her?

      She's going too fast. I speed behind her, knowing there's not much I can do, but I can't just let her crash. I feel a panicking in my gut, scared she's going to hurt herself, and it'll be all my fault. "Evans! Pull up! Pull up! Now!"

     She does as I say and pulls up, but it is too late. She's too close to the ground. The tip of her broom collides with the ground causing her to roll off, landing on her back with her arms and legs spread out. She doesn't move, and I feel my stomach bottom out. Lily.

    Once I'm a few feet from the ground, I jump off throwing pebbles everywhere. "Lily! Are you okay? I'm sorry! Why did you dive? You didn't honestly think, I would hit you, did you?" I can't keep the anger out of my voice. How could she possible think I would hit her or hurt her in any way?

     She sits up, balancing on her elbows and laughs as I approach. I stop in my tracks looking her over. Her robes are dirty, but she does't have in scratches or anything. "Did you suffer an injury to your head?" I ask carefully.

      "Don't get your knickers in a twist, Potter. I'm fine," She continues to laugh, sitting all the way up. My whole body sags in relief, and a smile crosses my lips because she's tough. She doesn't whine, she doesn't get angry at me. The girl laughs because she can take it. Because she's freaking perfect.

      I offer her my hand, pulling her too her feet. I wave my wand removing any trace of her dirt from her uniform. She smiles up at me, making my heart melt. "Thanks," she says.

      I pick up the brooms, taking them back to the shed. I shake my head trying to clear it of the fogginess that always occurs when I'm around her. For the longest time, I thought it was just a little crush. Until I finally asked her out third year, and she said no. It killed me, but I acted like it was no big deal and persisted. I finally realized she wasn't just a challenge or a little crush because I couldn't make these feeling go away even if I wanted to. I shake my head once more, locking the brooms away before we begin to make our way back to the castle.

     "You were more of an indoor girl growing up, weren't you?" I ask, as we make our way up the path.

      She smacks my arm, and even though my uniform has sleeves, my arm tingles where she touched it. "No!" She shrieks. "I just didn't grow up with flying sports!"

       I laugh because that is a fair point. "Well," I say. "My kids are going to be great at Quidditch." At least I hope so, I would love to watch my kid play. Even if they suck, I will be their biggest fan. Definitely come to all of the games. Sirius and I could embarrass the shite out my kid. A smile creeps over my lips just picturing it.

      "What if they prefer brains over brawn?" She demands with a playful smile.

      "Well," I say smiling. I need to test the waters, see if she'll let me get away with this. "If we got married and had kids, they could have both." She doesn't wrinkle her nose in disgust or protest. My insides swell with hope. Better not push it. Need to add something else, so she doesn't think I'm being arrogant again. "Now, if you married someone like Moony, they wouldn't have an athletic bone in their body."

      "Hey! I'm telling Remus you said that!" She says hiding a smile.

      "Ohhh, so scary!" I say faking horror. Remus is the least scary person, you know disregarding the whole werewolf thing. She finally cracks a grin, and it causes me to laugh. 

      "Oi!" comes a voice from the castle doors. "What are you two doing? We have class in like five minutes." Sirius eyes the two of us laughing and gives us a sideways looks. Dammit, Padfoot, why do you have to ruin the moment? "Unless," he continues. "You two were planning on skipping, and engaging in some-ahem-activities."

       Lily's cheeks turn red as she shouts, "Black!"

       "Now, Padfoot," I say calmly, fighting laughter at her reaction. "You know if I was going to engage in activities with Evans, I wouldn't be stupid enough to get caught, especially by a nosey dog like you." I can't help the joke from slipping out.

       Sirius begins to laugh, he always did enjoy a good pun. I bite my lip to keep from laughing. Lily just stares at us as if we've gone mental. "You're a drama queen, Black," she states simply walking past him.

        Lily races ahead of us trying to make it on time to Defense Against the Dark Arts. "What were you and Evans up to?" Sirius asks, raising his eyes suggestively.

       I shake my head vigorously at him, pleading with him silently, because things are going so well with Lily, I don't want them to get screwed up. When we arrive to the classroom, everyone turns to look. Sirius waves, and I roll my eyes at him. Pete raises his eyebrows, and Remus rolls his eyes like he doesn't care, but I see him do a double take.

     Lily stares ahead at the wall, glaring. Did I do something? My heart sinks. I was doing so well. What did I do? I mean, we aren't even late, so that's not it, right? Is she mad about what Sirius said?

      "Now," Professor Tate says interrupting my thoughts. "A corporeal patronus is very advanced magic. Most of you, if not all of you, know that patronuses are used in defense of dementors. They are very dark creatures, and they are the guards of Azkaban. They are known for making you feel as if you will never be happy again and making you relive your worst memories. This is something you have to fight through to produce your patronus. Now, who knows what you have to do to produce a patronus?"

      To nobody's surprise, Lily raises her hand, and Professor Tate calls on her. "The caster of the spell must think of a very powerfully, happy memory and say the words Expecto Patronum."

      "Very good, Miss Evans!" Professor Tate exclaims. "Ten points to Gryffindor!"

      I take my chance, probably pushing it, but what do I have to lose at this point if she's already mad? I lean forward, putting my lips right next her ear, and whisper, "Know it all." She shivers slightly before throwing her elbow back into my stomach. It knocks the air out of me, as she throws me a playful look over her shoulder. So, maybe she isn't mad.

      Okay, so she's not mad at me. That's good. She shivered when I whispered in her ear. Because she likes me or because I scared her. My heart leaps at the possibility that she might like me. I beat the hope swelling in my chest down, because this is a dangerous road to go down. I haven't asked her out in over a year, and I don't know if I can take another rejection. She doesn't like you, James. You're just imagining things.

     "Very well done, Miss Evans! Another ten points to Gryffindor!" Professor Tate exclaims again. I jerk out of my inner monologue and realize I missed something.

      "Did you happen to swallow a textbook this morning, Lilikins?" Sirius asks. Ah, Lily answered another question. Of course. Lily turns to Sirius and with a deadpan expression, raises her middle finger causing me to laugh.

      "Oh, love, believe me I would," he winks. "But Prongsie here would probably murder me." I turn to glare at Sirius. Lily quickly turns away, hiding her expression. I feel the familiar pang of rejection.

      "What the fuck?" I whisper.

      Sirius just shrugs in return. "Is it not the truth?"

      When I remain silent, Sirius smirks and turns to face the front of the room again. So not the point, Padfoot.

A/N*

Hello, lovelies! I am so sorry this took longer than normal, but I did start college so I'm a little busy. Sorry, this isn't my best work; I was a little rushed. Anyways, hope everyone is well.

Vote and comment please