Falling

November and December pass so quickly, I feel startled when teachers announce the holidays start in just one week. After we crushed Slytherin in our last match, I upped the practice time so we could do the same to Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw. Between that and all the school work, which between Moony being my best friend and Lily Evans being my girlfriend I was actually getting done, the months passed with blinding speed.

      Lily and I couldn't be better. I still would receive a sudden jolt of happiness when the thought of Lily Evans equalling my girlfriend crossed my mind. She was by far the most extraordinary person I had ever known. I can't imagine anyone being able to make me happier. Some people took notice of that.

     "So," a voice mocked one day as I left Divination. "Looks like I was right about you breaking up with me for her." Jenna.

     I turned on my heal to look at her. Her blues eyes flashed dangerously. "I'm sorry, Jenna," I replied politely. "I didn't think she felt that way about me. I'm sorry we got together so quickly after we broke up. It wasn't fair to you."

     She let out a huff, clearly not pleased. "Whatever, James. You know where to find me if you ever need me," she said in her playfully, seductive voice. Anger flared inside of me because she could never compare to Lily, and I would die before I betrayed Lily in that way.

    "Don't hold your breath, Jenna," I said too angry to consider what I was saying. "You could never compare to Lily even on your best day."

     Jenna's eyes flashed. "Have fun with your mudblood."

      I grabbed my wand from my robes, before I even considered what I was doing, anger swelling inside of me at the use of that word; especially, at the use of that word directed at Lily. "If you ever talk of her that way again, I will hex you and not think twice about it," I said dangerously; my voice low.

      She rolled her eyes. She hasn't talked to me since. I told Lily of our little meeting, but she brushed it off and told me it wasn't a big deal. She did thank me for defending her, which made the whole thing worth it in the end.

     "So tired," Remus whines as we climb in through the portrait hole after a particularly strenuous day of classes.  

     "Thank Merlin it is the weekend," I declare collapsing onto the couch, Lily already occupying it. As soon as I put my head in her lap, she instantly interlocks her fingers in my hair, playing with it, causing me to smile at her touch.

     "Am I dead? I think I died like three times this week," Sirius exclaims leaning dramatically against the stone wall, closing his eyes.

     "I'm going to bed, I need sleep," Remus says walking upstairs followed closely by Sirius.

     Lily watches them go, and I am reminded yet again by how fucking gorgeous she is. Her dark red hair shines in the firelight falling down the side of her face in waves, framing her face perfectly. Her almond shaped green eyes sparkle in the light, and I feel like I could stare into them forever. God, I love her. My insides twist, knowing I can't keep this in much longer, because she needs to know how I feel about her. I have been debating on telling her for weeks now, knowing the feelings were bubbling inside.

     "You going to bed too?" She asks looking down at me, eyes widening slightly when she catches me staring at her. I don't feel as embarrassed as I used to because now I'm allowed to stare.

     "You're really beautiful, Lily. Did you know that?" I ask, feeling a smile cross my lips. I need her to know.

     Her laugh rings throughout the room, as she leans down to kiss my lips. "Did you get a hold of some firewhiskey and not tell me?"