Through the door

"Coming mother!" She says. Ava opens the door to be greeted by her mother. She hands her the drawing proudly. It's a picture of her family. A heart surrounds them, but her father, Dave, is excluded to the side. Liz thanks her for the drawing. She takes it to her room and locks it into her drawer, avoiding Dave's views. They finish dinner, then get ready for bed. Sierra is sound asleep. Liz is in the bathroom, taking off her makeup. Ava is tired but wants to see her mother one last time before bed. She realizes the bathroom door is cracked. Ava peeks her head in. At that point liz's makeup is almost completely removed. Ava looks at her mothers face. Dark welts and bruises shelter her eyes. Ava is stunned by this. She leaves the door how it was and tiptoes back to her room scared and confused. The lights turn off and her emotions over whelm her to sleep. At about 3 am the sound of yelling wakes her up. Dave is home and yelling at Liz. She hears the usual yelling and screaming, but now it is starting to make sense to her. "I can't do this anymore Dave!" Liz says. "You'll do this if I give a damn. You'll do what I say. YOU UNDERSTAND ME?!" Dave replies. At this point Ava's eyes begin to water. Her nose starts to get tingly. The night goes on, and this continues for years. As she gets older Ava starts to leave the house regularly at night, adventuring off into the woods to escape her reality.