Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Ryan and Esposito went back to the precinct to try and figure out who did this to Rick. They hated to Kate so upset. They figured if they found out who did it, it might help Kate to heal from all this pain. "I'm so sorry, Kate. I wish there was something I could do to make it better." "There's nothing anyone can do. My fiancé is dead. He was the love of my love. I wish I wasn't so stubborn and we could have gotten together sooner. I don't know how to live without him. I need him." Lanie didn't say anything, all she did was hug Kate tight. "I'm going to go back to the precinct and check on the boys. To see how things are going. I'll let you know if they get any leads about who may have done this to Rick. If you need me, just give me a call and I'll be there." Lanie said. "Thank you."

Kate asked if her, Martha and Alexis could say goodbye and although the doctors were hesitant, they allowed it. The doctors left and then the three of them all went into the hospital room where Rick was. They all sat beside his lifeless body. Alexis carefully touched her father's cheek. "I love you, dad." She whispered, while tears starting to fall. Kate rubbed her hands on her back, trying to comfort Alexis. She then turned around and fell into Kate's arms. Alexis rested her head on Kate's shoulder and Kate stroked Alexis's hair. Martha kissed Rick's cheek, "I will always love you. You'll be in our hearts forever." She then looked over at Kate and Alexis who were still in their embrace and said to Alexis "come on, Lex. Let's leave so Kate can say goodbye." She nodded, releasing from her and Kate's hug. Kate kissed the top of her hair and wiped away Alexis's tears.

After they left, Kate took Rick's hand and said, "I love you so much. My life is never going to be the same now that you're gone. I can't believe I'm never going to see you again. I don't know how to live without you. I would do anything to see you again. You were my one and done. Meeting you was the best thing to ever happen to me. I will never forget you and you'll be in my heart, always." She sobbed and rested her head on his chest.