Chapter 3

Alexander sprinted toward the cabin, drawing in quick, raspy breaths. (no I don't wanna die not like this not like this) Snow pelted down on him, as if trying to slow his pace. (no no no no no no no) He entered the cabin and slammed the door behind him. (not yet not yet no no no no no)
         Panic in his eyes, Alexander said quietly "no no no no no no...". John sat up, concerned.
          "What happened?" He asked. (oh no oh no) Alexander took a shaky breath and sat down beside John. "The general knows." John's eyes widened. "What? Alexander, how? What happened?" Hamilton quivered, his body in complete disarray. (they're going to kill me I'm going to die john's going to die it's my fault my fault my fault) "I don't know. All I know is he knows, they're going to kill me, they're going to kill you, we're going to die and it's all because of me." "How is it your fault if we don't know how he knows?" John took a deep breath. "Just do what you do best."
He handed Alexander his quill. Alexander looked at John, seeing absolute faith that he would succeed. But John was asking him to do the impossible, to be forgiven for a crime where the punishment was death, all through words. He turned to him.
"I don't think I can do it." John appeared taken aback. He smiled and said "Yes. You can." Although Alexander didn't believe it could be done, John trusted he would do it, and he couldn't let him down. He dipped his quill in ink and began to write.
Dear General Washington,
I understand that you have heard a rumor that I kissed John Laurens. I suspect that that rumor was sparked by a soldier eager to have both me and John executed. I do think that it may have done the trick, if not for my skill with words that might just convince you that that rumor is in fact not true. I trust you will ask around camp for the spinner of this lie, and you will soon realize that the truth is that this idea was started by a rapscallion who thought that the execution of two loyal soldiers would, in fact, be funny.
      A.Ham
He set down his quill and stamped the letter. Here goes.