Caring to Careful

"When you expect honesty, you get betrayal. When you put in trust, you get LIES."

Once upon a time, there was a girl named Shelly. She always tied her hair up in a bun and wore baggy shirts and cargo pants. When asked why she wore such clothes she said, "Oh! You see these are no normal pants and shirts, they are made from magic yarns. There are enough pockets in my pants and shirts to store toffees of Care. It's a never ending supply I provide to others."

She wandered distributing toffees of Care to her friends, family, kids and sometimes to strangers. They ate greedily and always asked for more. The people were lucky for she had an endless supply of toffees of Care, sweet and healthy. They fed on her toffees. She kept giving them. After some time, there was still and endless supply of Care toffees but she was getting tired and weak for the people started misusing her toffees and began to affect her health. Initially, she never asked anything in return but she needed energy to survive. So, one day, she went to on a stroll in her neighborhood – pockets still filled with her toffees, just in case anyone needed them.

She came across her group of friends who she had provided with the maximum bout of Care toffees. "Can I have some Honesty and Trust please? I have given away so much of my Care toffees that my energy is draining."

"Yes, Sure!" said her friend and grinned, a girl her age – tall and pretty. The girl pulled out a small packet from her duffel bag and opened it. Inside there were dark green colored toffees, an ugly green. "Here," she said and smiled handing over three toffees.

And, a tall boy, with curly and shaggy dark hair pulled out four grey toffees from his right jean pocket and gave it to Shelly. She took the toffees of Honesty and Trust gratefully and thanked them.

With similar smiles on their faces, they bid Shelly goodbye.

The next day, Shelly ate all the seven toffees – three Honesty and four Trust at the crack of dawn. And instead of feeling stronger, she felt all the energy being sucked out of her. By the time the sun was above the horizon, all Shelly felt was uncontrollable, unimaginable pain right to the core of her bones.

Confused, vulnerable and unstable, she headed to Doctor Kindle. He was a handsome man, very well read, smart and full of wisdom. He knew just by looking at her that the toffees she ate were indeed not what she thought they ought to be.

He still did a check to make sure his instincts were telling him the right thing.

"Shelly, you gave so many of your Care toffees to so many people – your family, your friends. And when your energy started to drain, your supply didn't which is strange in today's time but also commendable. However, not everyone is the same as you are, my dear," he said. Shelly didn't know where Doctor Kindle was getting at but she knew it wasn't good for he only shared a part of his wisdom when he knew she needed it.

"I know that with the toffees of Care, you also have to keep toffees of Neglect, don't you? Those are the ones you give to people who you think don't deserve your Care toffees, but you have never purposely given those to anyone but that doesn't mean you might not have given them at all," he remarked.

"No, I never- "

"Let me complete. So when you unintentionally gave the toffees of neglect to someone (Care toffees and Neglect toffees are just two different but close shades of red difficult to be distinguished, they never forget about your Care toffees for they knew you were good at heart. But those whom you gave too many Care toffees started taking you for granted and therefore, when you asked your friends for Honesty and Truth toffees, they gave you Betrayal and Lies and that is why you are sick and in pain.

Shelly now understood – that sometimes the people we save too many Care toffees for don't value what we have given them, and in return they give us the taste of sickness and pain.

She decided not to repeat the same mistake twice because she knew they will hurt her again without hesitation. From that day on, she gave just a little bit of Care toffees to the people. She still brought lots and lots of toffees of Care for them, she was not the kind of person who stopped storing Care toffees, but she was more careful with her heart this time.

And, she had become the person who gave less now, afraid to be hurt again.

However, a closed heart didn't take long to freeze and turn into something unthaw-able.

____________________________

thank you for reading! :)

Hello fellas! Long time no see! :D

This is a surprise short post!

The big news is I am entering the #WATTYS2016 with my Short Story - || Time and Again || which currently charms the spot 70 on the hotlist! Woohoo!

The second news is that I am again part of the #WattpadBlockParty for the third time!! <3

And I going to do a very special post this time that will help new and upcoming Wattpad writers immensely! :)

SO join us this AUGUST for the WBP summer edition 2!! <3

LOVE LOVE

Sash.