10

We were in the awkward limbo of knowing we liked each other and also realizing that it was not appropriate to do anything about it... -JEI

C H A P T E R 10

"Delilah, we need to talk."

"Delilah, we need to talk, sweetheart."

Laughing, I replied, "Okay, Daddy, but, really, I don't need a birds and bees conversation. You and mom can keep your married lives to yourselves." Just the night before, I had gotten back early from practice to find them kissing on the couch, I had bolted right back out the door and avoided any conversation about what had happened.

He smiled lovingly at me, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. "No, love, we need to talk about something else. Your mother and I have been called away on a business trip."

"Oh." Surely they aren't going to leave me by myself? I thought. I mean, I am fourteen but I am only fourteen. And there's been a lot of break-ins lately.

"Don't worry, sweetheart," my mom said, hugging me from behind. "Your brother's coming to stay!"

My...brother?

"Lilah?" Aiden's voice pulls me out of my thoughts, a frown etched on my face.

"Yeah?" My voice comes out hoarse as I looked away for a second to wipe away any tears that were threatening to slip onto my cheek.

When I turned back, they all give me questioning looks, to which I just gave them a fake smile back.

"Okay. As Matthias was saying, even though he had already set some simple rules at the diner, we need to have them out on a contract and what not," Aiden explains.

I nod, knowing that I would have to get this information later, considering whatever they said came in my right ear and left my left ear. I continue to stare blankly at them, my mind only registering that their mouths were opening and closing and nothing else.

"Delilah?" Matthias calls right after I nod for the 5th time.

"Huh?" I ask, hoping they didn't catch me not paying attention.

"Are you even paying attention?" Nope.

"Of course, I am."

"So... then that means you understand what you just nodded about, right?"

"Of course."

"So...you are completely fine being sold to the Gatslan gang?"

"Of course."

"Alright, I guess I just call them to confirm their off-"

"Wait! Did you just say I was being sold to that perverted gang? The one that drugged you and took you prisoner?"

"I mean yeah, you did nod and just confirm it," I can see Matthias' mouth quirk up into a smirk.

"Oh. Umm..." I chuckle nervously before turning to Elliot and Aiden, "You wouldn't let them take me, would you? Your precious little Delilah?"

They too copy Matthias' motives and give me a smirk. "I mean, we don't mind getting money from them for selling you...and to mention that bump on my head still hurts," Elliot begins to rub the back of his head.

"First of all, that's not nice! I'm not an item to be sold!" I grunt, slightly offended. "And fine, I wasn't listening to you. Gosh. And can we do it later? I'm not really in the mood right now," I spoke quietly near the end as the flashback etched back into my mind, even though I badly wanted to throw an attitude.