Study Buddy - Part 3

Word count: 1289
=-=-=-=
After Pete left, Mr. Ramsay walked towards me and sat in the chair next to me. I already knew what he was going to say.

"How are you doing, Mikey?" I fought the urge to roll my eyes. Now came his second question. "Have you made any new friends?"

"I am doing fine. I have been talking to Gerard, and Frank at night." I said, knowing that it wasn't what he wanted to hear.

Mr. Ramsay was happy that I was so close to my brother, but he wanted me to make new friends. I feel like that was another reason for the whole Study Buddy thing. Mr. Ramsay sighed.

"Mikey. I think you should hang out with Pete a bit more, maybe he will introduce you to his friends." As soon as the words left his mouth, I started to laugh. Mr. Ramsay looked a bit amused.

"I am serious. I am glad that you and your brother share this close bond. But you need to have other friends, people here at school. Hopefully in your grade." Mr. Ramsay said. The bell rang, and he looked at the clock.

"Now, go to lunch. Sit in the lunchroom. Make friends." He stressed the last word, and opened the door for me.

"Thanks," I said. Mr. Ramsay smiled.

"This will work out. I am not doing this because I am a cruel asshole who takes joy in making my students socialize with evil people." I laughed. "Pete isn't evil. I know him a little bit, and he is a good person, once he opens up." I walked out of his office, trying to hide a smile.
Maybe this will work out.
=-=-=-=

This isn't working out. School had ended three hours ago, and Pete still hasn't shown up. Part of me was happy for that, because let's face it, I am terrified of the guy. He has that "terrifying but hot as fuck" look about him.

I sat at the table in the corner of the library. I prefered this place not only because it was so secluded, but also, this is where the non-fiction books are. Yes, I know I am a nerd.

But it isn't the boring essays about math or whatever, but they were good books. One of my favorites is the books on gender, and sexuality. There are some pretty good "guides" out there. I didn't want to check them out, because then people would see me carrying them around. It was easier just to stay back here.

There is no way that Pete would get lost, or simply not see me here. All he had to do was walk into the library (wow, so complicated already) and go straight to the middle. From there, you just had to turn 90 degrees clockwise and you could see me.

I even told the library to pass that message along to Pete if he came in. Back then, I was nervous, but slightly excited. Now, I was just annoyed.

He isn't going to show up.

I collected my books and got up to leave. As I was walking out, the librarian gave me a sympathetic look. I ignored it, and went home.
=-=-=-=-=-=
Day two. I had made eye contact with Pete today in the halls, and he looked a little guilty. Maybe he would come in today, just because he felt guilty.

I was sitting in the same spot as before, and I had brought my some extra work for myself if he didn't show up. I needed to get my grade up for my math class, and I have a test in Spanish that I needed to study for. Just because Pete didn't care about his grades didn't mean that I shouldn't.

I was quite surprised when Pete showed up 20 minutes after school ended. His hair was slicked back, and he threw his backpack down on the ground by the table.

Without saying a word, he pulled out a chair, and sat down. He glanced at me, and my mouth felt dry.

"H-hi," I stammered out. "How are you?" Pete looked amused.

"Okay." He said simply.

"I got some- um- make-up work for you, so I can help you with it." I pulled out a piece of paper out of my folder. Pete looked at the folder like it was some alien contraption.

"Did you actually make a folder just for the shit that I have to do?" Pete sounded like he was in awe. I blushed.

"Um, yeah." I opened it up and showed him the papers. "This is the schedule for the next month. We are a little behind because you didn't show up yesterday-" I will admit that I let a little bit of annoyance leak through into my voice.

"I just wanted to have fun!" Pete said, leaning back in his chair. I rolled my eyes.

"And I just want you to finish this so we can both move on with our lives," I responded blandly.

Pete was silent, and my cheeks went red again as I realized what I had just said. I glanced up at Pete, but his mouth was wide open.
He started to laugh, which was the complete opposite reaction than I had expected.

"Okay, okay. That was good. I deserved that," Pete admitted. I smiled a little bit, looking back down at the folder. Pete gasped. I jerked my head back up again, startled. "You just smiled! I am sorry, but I momentarily went blind from how bright and beautiful that was." Pete said, leaning forward across the table. My eyes widened, and if it was even possible, my cheeks went redder.

I shoved a piece of paper at Pete.

"Do t-that, and tell me if you have any problems with it," I said, busying myself with my own work. Why do I always have to stutter?

I heard Pete chuckle, but I ignored it, losing myself in math.

It was only ten minutes before Pete spoke again.

"Uh-" This was the first time I have heard him sound almost nervous. "Mikey?" I looked up.

Pete slid the paper back over to me, and tapped his pencil on question 3. "I don't get this one."

I quickly scanned the rest of the page. He had only done two so far, but their answers were both incorrect. Pete had only written Pete in the name section in his chicken scratch handwriting, no last name, or date. I held back a sigh. This was going to be a long month.

I looked at Pete. He was looking at me, with an almost hopeful look in his eyes. I took his pencil, and motioned him to come over.

Pete moved his chair over to where I was sitting. He moved so close that our chairs were touching, and his arm brushed against mine.

I pretended not to notice, and erased Pete's answers to the questions. He didn't protest, just sat closer.

"This whole assignment is about domain and range. You see the graph they give you? Look at the x-axis-" I started, but Pete cut me off.

"Sorry, I always forget this, but which one is the x-axis?" He looked sheepish, but I pointed to the graph again.

"The horizontal line. I remember the y-axis by looking at a y. There is the line on the y-" I drew a small 'y'. "That goes up and down, vertically. That is what a y-axis is." I explained. Pete nodded. "You got that?" I asked a bit anxiously, not wanting to move too fast for him.

Pete looked at me, his eyes searching my face. After a few seconds, he nodded.

"Yeah. I got it."