Chapter Six

“Wow.”

            That was the only word that came to my mind as I stared into my full-length mirror, peering at the stunning woman in its reflection. It was certainly me; that much I was sure of. The dress though… that was something else. Normally it took me hours upon hours to select a dress that matched both my hair and eyes. This dress, however, was decided in less than five seconds. Mostly due to the fact Chace was the one who bought it for me— at least I think he bought it for me. He might’ve already owned it, but I wasn’t sure. From its appearance, it gave me the impression of being brand new though. There wasn’t a single crinkle, or stain, or tear in its beautiful white fabric.

            My hands ran over my sides, reveling in the firm feel of polyester. The polyester was a relieving sight. It proved the dress couldn’t have cost too much. Thank God it wasn’t silk or velvet. The ruffled hem of the dress just brushed the top of my knees, fluttering with the slightest movement. Around my waist, the material was tight, showing off my slim waist. The tightness continued all the way up to the elaborately ornate halter-top. It was almost as if the dress was designed for me. It fit every contour of mine to a T.

            Paired with a pair of strappy heels, my outfit was complete.

            Nervously I checked my makeup in the mirror again, recoating my upper eyelashes. Chace had made it exceedingly clear that this dinner was extravagant and it was best if I looked my finest. Which was difficult, because I’d never had a reason to doll myself up so much before.

            “Rose? Are you done yet? I have to get in there…”

            “Yeah, Dad, hold on,” I responded, smoothing out my hair one more time before escaping the bathroom. “Chace will be here soon, so see ya—”

            He easily grabbed my arm, pulling me to a stop. “Wait a second. Let me see.”

            Embarrassed, I did a little spin. “See, saw, done. Goodbye—”

            “Rose,” he interjected, rolling his eyes. “Wait a second. You look so pretty. It makes me want to take a picture.”

            “Dad,” I protested. “It’s not prom. I’m just going to his dad’s dinner party.”

            “What exactly does his dad do? And when do I get to meet this guy?” he questioned, crossing his arms. “I’ve never heard of him before, and now you suddenly are going to a fancy dinner with him?”

            I sighed lightly. This was the reason why I never mentioned Chace to him. “He didn’t tell me what his dad does. Said it’s a surprise. And Chace is the person I’ve been hanging out with lately. He’s cool. And he’ll be here any second, so goodbye.”

            He pursed his lips at me. “I take it he knows about your eyes?”

            My hesitation gave my answer away.

            “Honey, you should tell at least someone. It’ll be good for you to talk about it.”

            “I’d rather forget about it,” I snapped.

            “I know, but…”

            My shoulders sagged. “No, I know too. I just can’t bring myself to do it. I know I should, but I don’t want to upset anyone.”

            Not wanting to mess up my hair, my dad patted my shoulder. “I’m sure when the time is right you’ll be able to say something. Just don’t wait too long.”