Chapter Fifty Two

2:21 a.m.

Office of the Chief Medical Examiner - Washington, DC

Luke spotted Ed Newsam leaning up against the wall of the building, his M4 rifle cradled in his arms.

The building was four stories tall, with a glass front. It was located just outside the half-mile radiation evacuation zone around the White House. The streets were entirely deserted. It looked like most people had decided that a half mile wasn't nearly far enough.

Luke let the car roll to a stop on the sidewalk in front of the building.

"What now?" Susan said.

"Now you get out. You stay with Ed, Chuck, and Walter inside that building. No matter what happens, or who comes, you stay with them. Stay as close as you can to Ed. Chuck and Walter are very good, but Ed is a killing machine. Okay?"

"Okay."

"Then let's do this fast."

Luke popped out of the car. Smoke rose from the radiator. All of the doors were stove in with bullet holes. Three of the four tires were shredded. All in all, the car had held up exceptionally well. Luke needed to get one of these.

"Took some heat, huh?" Ed said.

Luke smiled. "You should have been there."

Behind him, they were climbing out.

"Ed, you remember the President, don't you?"

"Of course."

Ed pushed the door to the building open. He had very little leverage and had to use his body weight to do it. They entered the main foyer. Ashwal was there with a wheelchair. He was a dark man, balding, with glasses. Years had passed since Luke had seen him. Strapped upright in the wheelchair was a dead woman with a blonde bob haircut. She wore a white spring sweater and slacks. Her skin was gray and slack, but otherwise she might just be sleeping.

"Ashwal," Luke said.

The man stared at him. "Luke."

Luke gestured at Susan with both hands. "Ashwal, this is Susan Hopkins, the President of the United States. She's injured. I need you to diagnose her injuries and treat her with whatever you have on hand here. We can't bring her to the hospital. People are trying to kill her."

Ashwal stared at Susan. Something slowly dawned behind his eyes.

"I'm not a doctor anymore."

"You are tonight."

Ashwal nodded, his face severe. "Okay."

Susan was staring at the corpse.

"Is that supposed to me?" she said.

"Yes."

"What are you going to do with her?"

Luke shrugged. "I'm going to kill her."