Chapter Fifty Seven

7:45 a.m.

United States Naval Observatory - Washington, DC

A black SUV pulled up the circular driveway in front of the Vice President's official residence.

The back door opened, and Susan Hopkins stepped out. The Iraqi doctor had set her arm and her wrist in the night. Her face was beyond his abilities—he had merely put a topical painkiller on the burns so she could sleep.

She had talked to Pierre just fifteen minutes ago, after she was assured it was safe to do so. He had cried, and she almost did, too. She still hadn't talked to the girls.

She walked up the path toward the big white house wearing full body armor under her suit. Chuck Berg walked with her, as did Walter Brenna.

The house was beautiful, and it had never looked more beautiful than it did this morning. She loved that house. It had been her residence for the past five years.

They entered the foyer.

About a dozen men in Army dress blues and business suits stared at them as they came in. She recognized a few of the men. They were Secret Service agents. All Ryan's people.

They stared at her as if they had seen a ghost. One of the men shook hands with Chuck Berg. A low murmur went through the crowd.

"Can I help you?" a man in Army dress said.

"I'm here to speak with William Ryan."

"Who may I say is calling?"

"My name is Susan Hopkins, and I'm the President of the United States."

More people came into the foyer. Many of them were tall men in blue suits, with guns strapped under their jackets. A small woman in a maid's uniform walked in. Susan recognized her. Her name was Esmeralda, but people called her Esa, and she had worked in this house for more than twenty years. She seemed puzzled. She looked at Susan as if Susan were one of those Catholic miracles that believers sometimes flocked to. She could have been a weeping Virgin Mary in the sheer face of a stone cliff.

"Mrs. Hopkins?" Esa said. "You're alive."

She walked up to Susan as if in a dream. The two women hugged. It was tentative as first, but then Susan pulled Esa closer. Abruptly, Susan started to cry. It felt so good, so good, to be here with this woman, at this moment.

"I am," she said. "I'm alive."

She closed her eyes and let the hug go on.

"You're not the President," a booming voice said.

Susan let Esa go. Coming down the grand marble staircase was none other than William Ryan. He looked hale and hearty, fit and energized, much younger than his years. "I am the President. I took the Oath of Office last night. It was administered by the Chief Justice of the United States."

He reached the bottom of the stairs and walked directly to Susan. He was very tall. He towered over her. She looked up at him. Chuck Berg was on her right. Walter Brenna was on her left.

"Susan," Ryan said. "It's nice to see you. But I'm going to have to ask you to leave. You've obviously been under terrible strain during the past twenty-four hours. I'm pretty sure you're in no frame of mind to take the Oath."

A crush of military men and Secret Service agents had gathered in the foyer now.

Ryan gestured to a couple of military men near him. "Will you escort Mrs. Hopkins out, please? We have work to do here."