Chapter 7: Unique

Chapter 7:

Zake’s P.O.V

I watched her exit the room. There was something about her that I couldn’t quite place a word to.

I could hear her heart beating I could smell the human in her but there was also something else. Her eyes were chocolate brown not the golden honey suckle brown like the rest of her family.

There was a peculiar scent to her as well. Something mixed in with the human in her. It smelt beautiful together but why are they together in the first place? And why is she the only human in the family?

I don’t think she was human. She wouldn’t have been able to fend of them vampires if she was human. But she did, she had the strength to and that’s what left me clueless.

She was like a mix between human and vampire. But that was impossible. Wasn’t it?

How can she be both at the same time?

All I know is that she wasn’t a vampire and she wasn’t a human.

Another thing as well. That ‘werewolf’ what is the relevance of him being here? Surly if the legends were true which they apparently are seems how I am looking at a werewolf now he shouldn’t be here, he should be fighting our kind like the traditional mortal enemies that we are.

He should not be sat there cuddling up to a vampire in a vampire’s house. It wasn’t natural.

Yes. There was something definitely strange in this clan.

I know they drink animals instead of humans. You can tell with their eyes. I tried it once, when I was forced to because no humans were around for days. My eyes began to turn the same golden brown theirs were.  

Even now m eyes were slightly brown from the elk I had before the attack. They were only tinted, but hardly unnoticeable when you can see as well as a vampire.

I looked at the wolf again. He didn’t look any older than me. Taller maybe but not older.

The only landmark difference between us was our temperature. And the fact he was still living and I’m ‘technically’ dead. 

He looked at me cautiously untrusting. He glared at me from across the room with his venomous eyes which didn’t alter me in the slightest. If it wasn’t his backup I was more worried about.

Why would they choose his kind over me?

There was something about his family, something different about all of them that left me only wanting more answers.

Ones that I would probably have to wait for; I couldn’t expect them to pour all of their secrets out to someone they’ve only just met.

Not even I would do that. No I would wait. I would build trust.

They trust me enough to let me into their house and stay for a while so I can wait for their secrets.

The most important one I wanted to know was the one Jacob called ‘Nessie’

There was something different about her and I will find out what that is.

Carlisle moved then, he walked over to the television and flicked the switch on and began to watch some program.

‘Do you mind if I go and catch some air?’ I asked Carlisle

‘Not at all-‘

‘I mind.’ Jacob’s huge stature towered over me in an instant. What was this guy’s problem?

I began to get up and ignore him but he forced me back down. ‘I said. I mind!’ He roared

‘Jacob?’ Carlisle gasped in shock.

‘What? Why would he need air? He’s a leech. He’s up to something. I know he is’

The I heard it. The sound that bought me questioning, the heartbeat with the mixed aroma.

The girl.

I peered around Jacob to see her near the door looking at Jacob in shock and hurt.

He followed my gaze until he found her. He walked over to her but she moved out of his way.

I walked over to me. She stood next to me and looked at Jacob.

‘How can you say that?’ She whispered her voice breaking with hurt as she said it.

‘Renesmee, I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean it like that!’ He was nearly begging on the floor. But she wouldn’t have it. She grabbed my sleeve and pulled me out side into the garden, just before we walked out the door she called back to Jacob;

‘Don’t bother following or coming outside’

We walked outside and sat down, she sun was beginning to farm through the clouds, not that it affected the coldness. Not that that bothered me either.

We both sat down on the grass near the river she started breaking the leaves in half and crunching them with her fingers.

‘I’m sorry about that. He knows better than that, honestly’

‘No need to apologise for him, it’s not your doing so you don’t need to apologise; besides you can’t blame him for protecting his family.’

‘True, but he still shouldn’t have said that.’

We both sat their in silence looking at each other.

He rounded face, flawless rosy skin; thick brown curls that shaped her face and the most magnificent liquid chocolate brown eyes one could ever lay eyes on.

She was so beautiful inside and out.

She blushed and looked around the space around us pretending to be distracted.

‘I’m sorry I didn’t get there in time to save you... I tried to but I just couldn’t reach in time’

‘What? How can you be sorry? You saved my life I should be saying thank you not you. It doesn’t even matter if you didn’t get there in time, I’m safe now and that’s what matters right?’ Her lips pulled up into a gracious smile which was infectious. I couldn’t help but smile back at her.

She was one of a kind. You didn’t have to know that to see it in her eyes, the way she spoke, what and how she said things. She was truly remarkable.

The sun began to set as we continued talking. Every now and then she would yawn, rub her eyes and carry on talking. Her enthusiasm never wavered though.

It was only until the lay down on the grass that I realised that she was tired. Tired?

She closed her eyes and drifted in and out of consciousness... So she could sleep?

I lifted her gently up of the grass and walked back inside the house. Edward looked up before we had even made it into the house and came over to help. Not that I needed it, she was light as anything.

He lifted her into his arms while her arms released from her and swayed about.

Her palm touched the surface of my skin and then I wasn’t in this world anymore, I was in hers. In her thoughts...