Chapter 12

Frank sighs, walking along the muddy ground with his mother beside him. He looks up to see his father looking around for a boat. Once Mr. Iero found one, he instantly grabbed his son's arm and drags him onto it, his wife shortly follows. Frank watches as his father rows the boat to the spot everyone knew is the best place for active fish.

Seconds turn into minutes when the boat finally stopped just the drift from the water below causing movement. He turns his head and looks down into the lake water, his reflection forcing his face to ball up in a cringe. His short black hair lies down in crazy directions untamed, dark bags hung under his tired hazel eyes and his once alive face now held depression. His eyes watch as fishes swam free among the water, free in life. Oh, how he wishes he could feel the same. He turns his head his eyes landing on his parents in deep conversation not paying any attention to their son. It's his final chance to escape. Frank quickly jumps into the water, the heavy waves covering it as the sound of water hitting the side of the boat. He carefully swam out, avoiding any attention from passing Byers and stopping when he reaches a decent distance from the boat.

He sighs, looking to the sky one last time, and closes his eyes before pushing himself under. His body panics as it fights for air after a couple of seconds. He opens his mouth, his body needing oxygen but is instead welcome with water filling his lungs creating a burning sensation to emerge from his chest to his throat. His head slowly starts to hurt from the lack of oxygen as he slowly starts to lose unconsciousness. A few moments passed when Mrs. Iero has noticed her son missing from the boat, a worried expression sits on her face as she looks at her husband. "Franklyn?" She asks, looking around the small boat for her son.

"Yes, hun?" Mr. Iero looks up from the water and to his wife.

"Where's Frank?" Mrs. Iero cries as she became more scared of her child's safety. Mr. Iero looks around the water and behind his wife to see no sight of his son.

"Frank!?" Mr. Iero yells out, concern filling his eyes. He repeats Frank's name and waits for noise, but nothing.

Soon enough minutes pass and Frank's body slowly rise out of the water Mr. Iero sees it and quickly rows the boat towards him. He takes Frank out of the water and gently sits him on the boat. Mrs. Iero gasps at the sight of her son and quickly uses CPR, but nothing works. Mrs. Iero cries silently in front of Frank's lifeless body. As Mr. Iero row the boat back to land, heartbroken. His only son.

Dead.

The realization came to him. His son's dead. He burst into tears his wife slowly taking in her husband for a hug. They sat there silently, letting each other cry.

-

Water blast into Frank's lungs, oxygen no longer in them. Darkness slowly came into view. Alight at the end of it; he looks around clearly confuse until his body has a mind of its own and moved closer to the strange light, but stops himself when his eyes lands on someone all to familiar.

"Gerard!?"

Gerard smiles sweetly, as he opens his arms inviting the smaller male to go into them. Without any hesitation Frank runs, the distance between the two lovers closing in as Frank jumps into Gerard's arms, legs wrapping around his lover's waist and arms around his neck. He leans in kissing the taller man's plump lips and carefully pulls away, looking right into those beautiful hazel eyes he hasn't seen in a while. He leans his head onto Gerard's shoulder, relaxing his body in his lover's embrace. "I missed you."

"I missed you too." The all too familiar voice spoke. "But we have to go. Okay?" Gerard mumble, in his ear.

Frank nods, putting let down back onto his feet. Gerard took the smaller male's hand into his hand smiles reassuring. Frank smiles back softly, before they slowly start walking towards the light.

'I guess he never read my messages' Frank thought. 'They stood unread.'